Anstruther is a Town in the Fife area
of Scotland, 49 miles north of Edinburgh, 9 miles south of
Anstruther is popular for its Scenic
Harbour, Scottish Fisheries Museum,
Trips & Fast RIB
Trips to the Isle of May, Ferries
to North Berwick, and the Caiplie
Caves 2 miles north on the Coastal
Top sections of the Fife Coastal
Path are here, 4 miles north to
Crail, 2 miles south to
Pittenweem, 3 miles south to
Monans, 6 miles south to Elie.
See also a large Click On
Map for the area Top Attractions.
Camping & Touring
Parks in the area.
The image top is looking across Anstruther
The second image is of the Market Cross on
Shore Street that runs alongside the Harbour.
This area has a good selection of Cafes,
Diners, Ice Cream, and Fish and Chip Shops.
The Promenade runs alongside the Harbour to
the Scottish Fisheries Museum and small
The Scottish Fisheries Museum
opened in 1969, giving information on Fishing
along the Fife Coast from Early Times - 2000s.
This is a large Museum in a number of
buildings, including a 1500s Abbot's lodging,
and a 1700s Merchant's house, also with a
Boat Trips to
the Isle of May,
about 5 miles out from Anstruther, run most
days from 1st April to 30th September.
Osprey of Anstruther
provide Fast RIB trips to the Isle of May from
April to September.
These trips normally allow you to view,
Guillemots, Razorbill's, Shags, Gannets, Grey
Seals, Porpoise, Dolphin, and the odd Whale. On
the Island are the remains of Monasteries from
the 500s and 1100s. There are also three
Lighthouses, with one the Oldest in
There are two Churches by the Harbour in
Anstruther, the West Parish
Church to the southwest built in the 1500s,
and Parish Church
built in 1634 to the north, both easily found
as they can be seen from the Harbour.
Club is on the south side of the Town,
founded in 1891. There is a Tower on the Golf
Course that serves as the Anstruther World War
The name Anstruther is thought to be from
Gaelic, meaning One Burn. The Town grew around
Sea Fishing, mainly Herring.
1225 - the earliest record of a Lord
Anstruther was mentioned in a Charter.
A Chapel was one of the earliest buildings
in Anstruther, where the Scottish Fisheries
Museum is now.
1583 - King James VI of Scotland gave
Anstruther the status of a Royal Burgh.
Anstruther expanded from this time through
Tanning, Shipbuilding, Fish-Curing, Cod Liver
Oil, and Coastal Trade.
1863 - the Railway reached Anstruther from
1887 - the Railway was extended to St Andrews 9 miles north.
1936 - record catches of Herring were
recorded along this coast. Herring is mainly
caught from June to August, so the industry
used to preserve vast quantities by Smoking or
Pickling, so they could be sold throughout the
winter. Herring is a small fatty fish.
1950s - Herring Fishing in the area had
declined dramatically due to Over Fishing.
Fishing along the Fife Coast then was mainly
for Mackerel, Atlantic Cod, Haddock, Whiting,
Coalfish, European Plaice, Sole, Common Shrimp,
Lobster, and Crab.
1965 - the Railway closed to passengers.
1990s - Controls were put on Herring Fishing
in the North Sea to allow stocks to
2010s - Herring Stocks in the North Sea were
reported to be increasing to a sustainable
level, although by that time most people in the
UK only eat White Fish such as Cod, Haddock,
Fatty and Oily fish such as Herring and
Mackerel are mainly exported to Europe and