There are also a number of Walking Routes
around Blair Atholl.
The Image top is of the War Memorial on the
north side of the Village by the large Atholl
The Shops are next to the Hotel and Old
Watermill Cafe down Ford Road between the Hotel
The Parish Church and Museum of Country Life
are at the south side of the Village with a
Cafe and seating by the River Tilt.
The River Tilt Park is on
the south side of the Village with Caravans and
Lodges for holidays.
Holiday Park is on the east side of the
Village with Lodges, Caravans, Eco Lodges, and
a Touring and Camping area.
Blair Castle entrance is in the
Village centre. This is one of the top Castles
in Scotland to visit with an amazing Walled
Garden. The Castle was once owned by Stewart's,
relations of the Kings. It then passed through
marriage to the Murray's.
The House of Bruar is a shopping complex
3 miles north of Blair Atholl with a Restaurant
and Takeaway. The Complex also has a small
Museum for Clan Donnachaidh.
The Falls of
Bruar is one of the top walks in Scotland,
about 2 miles out, 30 minutes walk from the
House of Bruar car park.
The Atholl Highlanders
Parade and Highland Games is held in the
grounds of Blair Castle in late May each
Blair Castle Horse
Trials take place in late August each
Blair Atholl History
1296 - the tower of Blair Castle was built
for John Comyn.
1270s? - the earliest parts of St Bride's Kirk
/ Church were built in the grounds of Blair
The very small village of Old Blair was
established around this time, a short distance
north of the Castle and Church, mainly for
workers on the estate.
1371 - the Stewart's gained control of Blair
Castle, relations of the Royals.
1595 - Blair Castle passed to the Murray's
1590s - the Watermill was built in Blair
Atholl, at the south entrance to Blair Castle,
first building in the new Village.
The Village grew with the building of houses
for workers on Blair Castle estate.
1689 July - 2,500 Jacobite's based at Blair Castle
defeated a 4,000 strong Government Army 3 miles
southwest at the Pass of Killiecrankie.
1730 - a Military Road was built through
Blair Atholl estate and Old Blair, to be used
by Government Troops to prevent more Jacobite
1822 - a new road and bridges were built,
running along the south side of Blair Estate,
north to Inverness.
1825 - Blair Atholl Parish Church was
1863 - the Blair Atholl Railway Station
opened, leading to the growth of the
1984 - the A9 bypass was completed, reducing
traffic through the Village.
1995 - the House of Bruar shopping complex
opened 3 miles northwest of Blair Atholl.