Drumcoltran Tower is situated 9 miles
southwest of Dumfries, 6 miles
northeast of Dabeattie, off the A711 road, by the
very small village of Beeswing where there are
signs to the tower. There is a small car park
by the tower.
The tower is open all year, Free to visit.
There are no floors left, but you can climb the
spiral staircase and walk around the top for
great views all around and over the modern farm
Drumcoltran Tower was built for Edward
Maxwell in the 1550s, a younger son of Lord
The Maxwell's were the most powerful family
in the area at that time with their main
stronghold of Caerlaverock Castle being 16 miles
southeast. They were a famous Roman Catholic,
It is thought Drumcoltran Tower was built to
help control this area where the main road runs
between Dumfries and Dalbeattie.
1750 - the tower passed by marriage to
Captain John Maxwell who also inherited
Cardoness Castle in 1752. Cardoness
Castle is situated 24 miles southwest.
A house was built next to the tower around
that time with the house and tower used to
accommodate farm labourers.
1900s - the wooden floors were removed from
the tower after becoming unsafe.
1900s - the tower was used as a farm
1951 - the tower was taken under the care of