large Click On Map for the area Top
Touring Parks in the area.
The image top is of the Artillery at
Bayswell Park by the Harbour. Guns have been
used around Dunbar for protection against ships
since the 1700s.
The second image is of the old Outdoor Pool.
This was extremely popular making Dunbar a top
tourist destination from the 1880s. The pool
was demolished in 1984 after inexpensive
holidays to the Mediterranean led to the
decline in tourism to Dunbar.
The New Leisure Pool is by the Old Pool and
Harbour with a large fitness centre and water
Dunbar Castle ruins are by the Harbour where
there is a scenic leisure area at the Harbour
The Town Hall is by the Leisure Pool, and
also looks onto the High Street.
On the High Street is the John Muir
Birthplace Museum, a local who became famous as
a best selling writer, explorer, and
Also on the High Street is the Town House
Museum that hosts art exhibitions and gives
information on local history.
Church is a short distance south of the
High Street. There have been churches on this
site since the 1100s. The present Church was
completed in 1821.
Club is on the South side of the town, and
Winterfield Golf Club
on the north side of the town.
caravan park that caters for tourers and
camping is on the north side of the town.
The name Dunbar is thought to have evolved
from the Gaelic name Dun Barra, meaning, Summit
There are remains of an Iron Age Fort to the
north of the High Street at Castle Park, with
the people known to the Romans as Votadini.
500s - Dunbar was part of the Kingdom of
Northumbria, with the earliest parts of
built around that time.
800s - King Kenneth MacAlpin of Scotland
attacked and burned much of Dunbar, as he set
about expanding Scotland land south.
1018 - King Malcolm II of Scotland took
control of the area after the Battle of
Carham, with Dunbar then being part of
1100s - the first church was built at
1134 - the title Earl of Dunbar was awarded
to Gospatric II, head of a powerful family in
the area, so he could control the area for the
1296 - the Battle of
Dunbar took place during the First War of
Scottish Independence, with the English
capturing Dunbar Castle.
1328 - the First War of Scottish
Independence was over with the Scots winning
1370 - Dunbar became a Royal Burgh, leading
to the town expanding.
1567 - Dunbar Castle was ruined by order of
the Scottish Parliament after the Battle of Carberry
Hill where Mary Queen of Scots was forced
to abdicate. Her husband, the Earl of Bothwell,
escaped the battle to Dunbar Castle, leading to
the destruction of the Castle.
1650 - the second Battle of
Dunbar was fought during the Wars of the Three
Kingdoms between the Scottish Covenanters
backing the Stuart Kings, and English
Parliamentarians led by Oliver Cromwell. This
was a major battle with the Scots defeated,
leading to the occupation of Scotland and
Parliament ruling the countries.
1660 - the Stuart Kings were restored to the
throne of Scotland, England, and Ireland.
1821 - the new Dunbar Parish Church was
1855 - the completion of Castle Park
Barracks led to a permanent military
presence in the town.
1856 - Dunbar Golf Club was founded on the
south side of Dunbar.
1880s - Dunbar became popular as a a seaside
holiday town and golf resort.
1935 - Winterfield Golf Club was founded on
the north side of Dunbar.
1983 - Dunbar began hosting an outdoor Pipe
Band competition that has now became extremely
popular on the second Saturday in May.
1987 - a fire destroyed much of the Parish
Church interior, including a monument to the
Earl of Dunbar. The church was rebuilt with a
Today, Dunbar is expanding with many new
homes built for commuters to Edinburgh.