The top image is of Dunvegan War Memorial at
the north end of the Village with the road to
the right leading to Portree.
The second image is of the Dunvegan Hotel at the
north end of the Village.
The Angus MacAskill
Museum is in the centre of the village.
Angus was born on the Isle of Berneray in 1825,
growing to 7ft 9inches. His parents took him
and their other children to Canada in 1831.
Angus died at Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada in
There is a popular fish bar at a car park in
the centre of the Village open most nights,
often selling fish and chips, also at times
local fresh shellfish.
The Old School Restaurant
is at the south side of the Village, also the
Dunvegan Bakery, oldest on Skye.
Campsite is a short distance south of
Dunvegan with pitches for Caravans, Campers,
Dunvegan Parish Church, built in 1832, is a
short distance north of Dunvegan, on the road
to Dunvegan Castle.
Dunvegan Castle is situated 1 mile
north of Dunvegan, open for visits much of the
1200s - Clan MacLeod took control of the
area and built the earliest parts of Dunvegan
Castle 1 mile north of Dunvegan.
1825 - Andrew MacAskill was born on the Isle
of Berneray off Skye. He grew to 7ft 9inches
and died in Canada in 1863.
1989 - the Giant MacAskill Museum is
opened in Dunvegan by Peter MacAskill, father
of the street trials cycle rider Danny
1909 - Neist Point
Lighthouse was completed at the tip of the most
westerly headland on Skye, 11 miles west of
Dunvegan. This is now a popular walk of over 1
mile each way from the car park, one of the top
sights on Skye.