Falkland is a village 39 miles north
of Edinburgh, 20 miles southwest of St
Andrews. The village is popular for its
historic Falkland Palace, old
buildings in the town centre, Tennis
Club, Falkland Golf
Club, and a walk or drive up to the
1,512 feet Falkland Hill where there is a
picnic area with great views.
See also a large Click On
Map for the area Top Attractions.
The image top is looking up the High Street
with Falkland Palace gates to the right.
The image second top is of a cafe in the
Falkland Parish Church, built in the 1850s,
looks over the village square. There had been
two earlier churches on this site from the
1500s and 1600s.
There is a statue of Tyndell Bruce in the
church gardens. Bruce lived from 1790 to 1855.
He was born in Bristol with his family being
bankers, merchants and slave-traders. He
married Margaret Stuart Hamilton Bruce in 1828
with them becoming Keepers of Falkland Palace.
He is buried besides the Parish Church, which
he helped build.
The Bruce Fountain was erected in 1856, the
year after Tyndell Bruce died. The fountain is
right in the centre of the village.
The Bruce Inn is situated just down the High
Street from the Square with a diner and
gardens. Parts of the Inn may date to 1607.
Across the road from the Bruce Inn is
Falkland Palace built in the 1500s
for the Stewart kings. The Palace and grounds
are open to the public with an entrance
From Falkland you can see the 1,512 feet
(461m) high Falkland Hill, also known as East
Lomond Hill. You can drive up much of the way
to a picnic spot with car parking and seating,
or walk up a trail from the town. This is a
popular hill for paragliding. Walk Guide &
1100s - a hunting lodge is built where
Falkland Palace is today.
1200s - the hunting lodge was enlarged into
a castle for the Earls of Fife/Clan
1337 - Falkland Castle was destroyed by
English troops during the Second War of
1501 to 1541 - Kings James IV and James V
rebuilt the old castle into a royal palace.
1542 December 14th - James V died at
1603 - England and Scotland merged with the
son of Mary Queen of Scots, James VI becoming
king of both countries.
1652 - the Palace was taken over by troops
of Oliver Cromwell during the Second English
Civil War. Cromwell's troops accidentally
set fire to the Palace. The Palace fell into a
ruin at that time.
1700s - the town of Falkland grew around the
weaving industry and brewing. A number of
picturesque cottages in the village today were
1887 - John
Crichton-Stuart, 3rd Marquis of Bute bought
Falkland Palace. His restoration of the
building took 20-years.
1970 - Falkland was made Scotland’s first
Today - the Village is popular as a tourist
attraction. Car parking can be hard to find