Findhorn

RS Home

Findhorn is a Village on the Moray Coast area of Scotland, 31 miles east of Inverness, 5 miles north of Forres.

Findhorn is popular for its Inns for Meals, Marina, Watersports, Beach, Boat Trips, Kinloss Abbey 2 miles south, Salmon Fishing, and there are a number of Walks in the area including Randolph's Leap and the Moray Way.

Village Map 30 Large Images
Hotels B&Bs Self Catering
Shops Restaurants Camp/Tour

See also a large Click On Map for the area Top Attractions.

Camping & Touring Parks in the area.

The image top is of Findhorn Parish Church and War Memorial on the south side of the Village, built in 1843.

The second image is of the Main Streets in Findhorn, a one way system, along the Beach and back the other street.

The Kimberley Inn is a popular Diner and for Refreshments overlooking Findhorn Bay, in the centre of the Village.

The Market Cross is also in the Village Centre by the small Harbour, with the Crown and Anchor Inn next to the Cross, another popular Diner. This Inn was built from 1739. The Market Cross lay in pieces for many years, with it recently being re-built.

The James Milne Institute is next to the Market Cross, used for Events and Entertainment. In 2019, it was being used for the Himalayan FairTrade Exhibition. It is unclear what year the Institute was built.

Findhorn Marina is a short walk north of the Village Centre, popular for its Cafe/Diner, number of Water Sports, and Boat Trips on fast RIBs.

By the Marina is Findhorn Beach with a Walk out to the Moray Coast where there is a 5 mile long Beach between Findhorn and Burghead. Walk Information.

Findhorn Bay Holiday Park is 1 mile south of Findhorn, with pitches for Tents and Tourers.

Kinloss Abbey is 2 miles south at the small Village of Kinloss, built from the 1100s, becoming one of the richest Abbeys in Scotland with the Rights to fish for Salmon on the River Findhorn.

Findhorn History

1100s - Kinloss Abbey was built 2 miles south of Findhorn with the Monks given Charters by Kings for Salmon Fishing on the River Findhorn and other Businesses, becoming one of the richest Abbeys in Scotland.

1180s - a Village was noted to have been in this area, about 1 mile northwest of where the Village of Findhorn is today.

1500s - Kinloss Abbey was abandoned after the Catholic Worships was made illegal in Scotland.

The Village of Findhorn was a major Sea Port for the area, with Ships trading around the UK and Baltic Sea Ports.

1600s and 1700s - the early Village was destroyed by the Sea and shifting sand dunes.

1700s - the Village seen today was built at Findhorn Bay, a few hundred yards inland from the coast, a more protected area.

1739 - the Crown and Anchor Inn was built in Findhorn, the oldest surviving building in the Village.

1746 - a French ship named Le Bien Trouve arrived at Findhorn Bay to support the Jacobite Rising of Bonnie Prince Charlie. Two British Warships later arrived outside the Bay, waiting on the French Ship to depart. The Le Bien Trouve managed to escape during the night without damage.

1829 - a great Flood known as The Muckle Spate devastated the area, with five Findhorn Fishing Boats used to rescued People from Forres, 3 miles inland from Findhorn Bay.

Findhorn grew around Fishing, including Salmon and Herring, with the Railway running to Findhorn from 1860 to 1869, mainly for the transport of Fish.

1918 - some of the Fishing Vessels at Findhorn were beached on the west shore during the First World War, never to be used again. The wreckage of these Boats can be seen at low tides.

1926 - Findhorn Golf Club was founded.

1939 - Kinloss Barracks and Airfield opened, just over 1 mile south of Findhorn. There are signs warning of low flying Aircraft over the Main Road to Findhorn. This Airfield was used for Flight Training during World War Two, then later to monitor Russian Submarines in the North Sea.

1940s - Findhorn Golf Club closed during World War Two, never to open again.

1962 - the Findhorn Foundation was founded 1 mile south of Findhorn, a dynamic experiment where everyday life is guided by the inner voice of spirit, with an Ecovillage Project, and invites Visitors from around the World to participate in the workshops, conferences, and special events.

1980s - Salmon Fishing with nets from the Shore ended.

2012 - Kinloss Barracks was transferred from the RAF to the British Army, with few Aircraft using the Airfield from this time.

Today - much of the Fishing for Salmon and Trout on the River Findhorn is managed by Moray Estates, who own vast areas of land in the area, with the River Findhorn running through much of this land.

Wiki History

RS Home







Findhorn Photos