Gatehouse of Fleet town is situated in
Galloway southwest Scotland, 30 miles
east of Stranraer, 54 miles southwest
of Dumfries, just off the main A75
Gatehouse of Fleet attracts visitors
for its Old Mill visitor centre with
diner, Cally Palace for golf and
restaurant, walk to the Rutherford
Monument, visits to Cardoness Castle, and
Inns and hotels for drinks and meals.
See also a large Click On Map for the
area Top Attractions. Shops .
The image top is looking up Fleet Street
towards the town centre with the Fleet Gallery
and the Ship Inn on the left.
The Ship Inn has a restaurant and rooms.
St Mary's church is
also on the left , just past the Ship Inn, with
a scenic seating area next to the church. This
church was built in 1840.
The image right is from the main parking
area in the town centre looking at the entrance
to the Mill on the Fleet
visitor centre with a shop and diner.
This was a cotton mill built in 1788 with a
water wheel on the gable end of the building
driving the machinery to spin the cotton. The
mill closed in the 1930s. It was restored by
the local council in 1980 and opened to the
public in 1981.
The church at the gates here seems to be
used for small local businesses selling local
hand made craft.
The image right is looking up the High
Street towards the Clock Tower. The Bank of Fleet Hotel is situated
in the middle of the High Street. The hotel
offers rooms, drinks, meals and has a beer
The Murry Arms
Hotel is situated at the top of the High
Street next to the Clock Tower. The hotel has a
selection of rooms and a restaurant.
The Clock Tower was completed in 1871 of
local whinstone with granite trim from
The Masonic Arms is
situated on Ann Street by the Clock Tower with
a contemporary dining room, conservatory, beer
garden, and bar.
The Cally Palace
hotel and golf resort is situated to the south
of the village in a country estate. The hotel
is also a popular place for lunch or afternoon
tea. This former country mansion was converted
to a hotel in 1934. Wiki History
The less expensive Gatehouse Golf Club is
situated on the northeast side of the town.
The 55ft high Rutherford Monument is a
popular walk from the village, about 3 and a
half miles round trip. The monument is in
honour of a minister from from this area who
became Professor of Divinity at St Andrews
University. Walk Information
Cardoness Castle is
situated 1 mile west of Gatehouse of Fleet,
next to the main road with a visitor centre and
has great views from the top. This is a late
1400s tower house built for the MacCulloch's, a
family known for deadly feuds with their
Gatehouse of Fleet History
1470s - Cardoness Castle is built on the
west side of the Water of Fleet for the
1610 - the wooden Fleet Bridge is built over
the Water of Fleet for the increasing numbers
of people traveling to the port town of
Portpatrick for trade with
The Murray's owned the land on the east side
of the river, so built a gait house / inn by
the bridge to make money out of the passing
trade. This is where the towns name originated
- Gatehouse of Fleet.
1721 - the wooden bridge is washed away in a
1729 - the first stone bridge is built.
1760s - Kings Head Inn is built, later named
the Murry Arms.
1765 - James Murray has Cally country
mansion built on the east side of the
1778 - Robert Williamson, inventor of
clockwork mechanisms set up a workshop in the
1794 - Robert Williamson died in a fire at
1790 - Lower Birtwhistle Mill is built, now
the Mill on the Fleet.
1790s - the town had four cotton mills,
copper mine, a brass foundry, brewery,
brickworks, soap factory, and tanneries.
1794 - the Ship Inn is built.
1819 - the artist John Faed is
born in the area.
1824 - Alexander Murray had the Fleet Canal
built from the Water of Fleet to the towns
small harbour named Port Macadam, a short
distance south of the town. The harbour had
around 150 ships visit per year, it is now used
by small pleasure craft.
1840 - St Mary's church is built.