logo
Glasgow Buildings Grand Central Hotel image

Glasgow Buildings

Glasgow Home Page


A list of the most Impressive and Historic buildings around Glasgow centre.

Each of these Glasgow buildings are well worth viewing to take in the excellent stonework. You can also view the interior of most as well. Look out for some of the neighbouring buildings as well, as many were built to compete with the top buildings. Most buildings are built with a local stone, golden in colour. The red stone was brought in from the southwest of Scotland, so was more expensive. Visiting these buildings makes a good walking tour of Glasgow centre.

Glasgow City Chambers image

The Glasgow City Chambers building is situated on the east side of George Square, in the centre of Glasgow. This building was completed in 1888 in the Beaux Arts Style by the architect William Young. The City Chambers were opened by Queen Victoria. You can take tours of the inside most days. The large red sandstone Royal College building, built in 1903, is situated on the left in the image above. Wiki Page. Map G2 1EG.

Post Office Building Glasgow image

The old General Post Office Building is situated on George Square's south side. The building was completed in 1878 by the architect Robert Mathieson. This building was re-modeled between 2007 and 2012, retaining only the outer shell. The building now contains a number of businesses including Jamie Olivers Italian Restaurant and Browns Restaurant. The building on its right side is Lomond House offices built in 1922 to designs of James Miller. Map G2 1EG.

The Counting House Glasgow image

The Counting House building is situated on the southwest corner of George Square. This building was built to be the Bank of Scotland's headquarters, completed by the architect J T Rucheadin in 1870, in the Italian Renaissance style. The building now serves as a J D Wtherspoon Bar Diner, and also contains the Elia Greek Restaurant, both with good views over Gerorge Square. Map G2 1EG.

The Merchants House Glasgow image

The Merchants House is situated on the northwest corner of George Square, next to the Counting House. This building was completed in 1877 by the architect John Burnet. The Merchants House has been run by Glasgow Merchants since the 1600s, helping to develop Glasgow for business and its community. Website. Map G2 1EG.

St George's Tron Church Glasgow image

St George's Tron Church is situated on Buchanan Street, about 200 yards west of George Square's northwest corner at the Counting House. This building was completed in 1808, as St. George's Parish Church, by the architect William Stark. The building now serves as a Church of Scotland Parish church. You can visit when there are no services. Wiki Page. Map G2 1HW.

Glasgow Town House image

The Town House is situated on Buchanan Street, on the north side of the Tron Church. This building was completed in 1911. The building now houses the vast Chaophraya Thai restaurant over 4 floors. Next door is the impressive, but narrow, Athenaeum Theatre building completed in 1893, that now holds the Hard Rock Cafe. Map G2 1BT.

Glasgow Stock Exchange Building image

The Glasgow Stock Exchange Building is situated on Buchanan Street, on the south side of the Tron Church. This building was completed in 1887 by the architect John Burnet, in the Venetian Gothic style. The building now holds the Apple Computing Store. Wiki Page. Map G1 2JX.

Clydesdale Bank St Vincent Place image

The Clydesdale Bank building is situated on 32 St Vincent Place, next to Buchanan Street, just south of the Glasgow Stock Exchange building. This building was completed in 1874 by the architect John Burnet. The Clydesdale Bank has been one of the major banks in Scotland since 1838. Across the road is the impressive Scottish Provident building completed in 1908 by the architect Dick Peddie. Web Info. Map.

110 St Vincent Street Bank image

110 St Vincent Street is situated on St Vincent Street, a couple of hundred yards west of the Clydesdale Bank building. This building was completed in 1927 by the architect James Miller, in the American Neoclassical Architecture, for the Union Bank of Scotland. The Bank of Scotland now uses the building. Map.

Liverpool and London Globe Insurance Building Glasgow image

The Liverpool and London and Globe Insurance Building is situated on the corner of Hope Street and St Vincent Street, next to the 110 St Vincent Street building, and just up from the Grand Central Station Hotel. This building was completed in 1898 by the architects Baird and Thompson. Map.

Grand Central Hotel Glasgow image

The Grand Central Hotel is situated at Glasgow Central Train Station, on Gordon Street and Hope Street, about 200 yards down from the Liverpool Insurance building. This building was completed in 1883 by the architect Robert Rowand Anderson, in Queen Anne Style. You can visit for a look round and have a drink or a meal. The hotel bar/diner named Champagne Central has good views over the train station. Wiki Page. Map G1 3SF

Gallery of Modern Art Glasgow image

The Gallery of Modern Art is situated in Royal Exchange Square, about 300 yards east of Central Station, 200 yards southwest of George Square. This building was originally completed as a Town House in 1778 for William Cunninghame, a wealthy Glasgow Tobacco Lord. The Corinthian pillars and clock tower were added in 1832. Wiki Page. Map G1 3AH.

Corinthian Building Glasgow image

The Corinthian Building is situated on Ingram Street, about 100 yards east along from the Gallery of Modern Art. This building was completed in 1842 by the architect David Hamilton, as the Glasgow Ship Bank. The building now houses the Corinthian Club with bars, restaurants, and a casino. You can pop in for a drink and a look around. Map G1 1DA.

Glasgow Old Sherrif Court image

The Glasgow Old Sherrif Court is situated on Ingram Street and Wilson Street. This building was completed in 1844 in Neo-Classical Design, by the Glasgow based architects William Clarke & George Bell. The building now holds the Scottish Youth Theatre, and the Citation Tavern for meals and drinks. Map G1 1TF.

Hutchesons Hall Glasgow image

Hutchesons Hall is situated on Ingram Street, next to the Old Sherrif Court. This building was completed in 1805 by the architect David Hamilton. The building was built for two Glasgow lawyers, who left funds in trust to build a school for poor boys, orphans, and also old men. The building is currently un-used. Map G1 1EJ.

Ramshorn Kirk Theatre Glasgow image

The Ramshorn Kirk is situated on Ingram Street, a block east of Hutchesons Hall. This building was completed in 1824 by the architect Thomas Rickman. The building is now used as the Ramshorn Theatre, owned by the University of Strathclyde. Map G1 1ES.

City Halls building Glasgow image

The City Halls building is situated on Albion Street, a block east of the Ramshorn building. This building was completed in 1841 by the architect George Murray. The painting on the north end of the building was added in about 2012 by the Australian artist Sam Bates. Map G1 1NY.

Merchant Square Glasgow image

The Merchant Square building is situated on Albion Street, about 100 yards south of the City Halls. This building was built in the 1800s as a merchant's market. The building now houses a number of restaurants .Website . Map G1 1NY.

Trongate Royal Bank of Scotland building image

The Trongate Royal Bank of Scotland building is situated on the corner of the Trongate and Glassford Street, on the west end of the Trongate, a few hundred yards southwest of the Merchant Square. This building was completed in 1903, in Mixed Renaissance Style. The building is currently up for lease. Map G1 5RY.

Tron Old Church Theatre Glasgow image

The Tron Old Church, built as the Collegiate Church of St Mary and St Ann, is situated on the Trongate, about 200 yards east of the Royal Bank building, just south of the Merchant Square. The tower of the church was completed about 1593. The building is now used as the Tron Theatre. Map G1 5HB.

Trongate Town Hall Glasgow image

The Trongate Town Hall, or Tontine Building, is situated on the Trongate, across the road from the Tron Theatre. Much of the building that can be seen today, was completed in 1781 by the architect William Hamilton. Now mainly used as shops, bar diners, and restaurants. Map G1 5EP.

Glasgow Cross Tolbooth Steeple image

The Tolbooth Steeple is situated at Glasgow Cross, where the Trongate meets the High Street, about 100 yards east of the Trongate Town Hall. The Tolbooth was built in 1627, as part of Glasgow's council chamber and administrative headquarters. The Steeple is all that remains of that building. Straight up the High Street, past the Tolbooth, about half of a mile, is Glasgow Cathedral. Map G1 5NA.

Mercat Building Glasgow image

The Mercat Building, and Mercat Cross in front, are situated at Glasgow Cross, by the Tolbooth Steeple. This building was completed in 1928, and the cross in 1929. Mercat stands for Market, as this is where a large market was situated, where five roads meet at Glasgow Cross. The Tolbooth is round to the left in this image. Map G1 5NA.

St Andrews Square Glasgow image

St Andrew's Square is situated about 200 yards southeast of Glasgow Cross. The main building in the Square is the former St Andrew's Church, completed in 1754. This building is now used for private functions such as weddings and family party's. Cafe Source is a cafe/bar within this former church, open every day. Website . Map G1 5PP.

Just south of St Andrew's Square is the large Glasgow Green park with the Peoples Palace museum. There is a good riverside walk back to Glasgow centre from Glasgow Green, with many bridges to view.
Glasgow River Walk Page.

For a list of the top Attraction around Glasgow, visit the Attractions Page or the Glasgow Home Page .