Glenesk is situated 47 miles northeast
of Dundee, 54 miles southwest of
Aberdeen, with the road leading
up from just north of the village of
Glenesk is popular for the Glenesk Folk
Museum with a Cafe, the Rowan Tower
Hike, and walks through Invermark Estate,
southwest to the Invermark Castle, and
Glenesk Old Parish Church by Loch Lee.
Another hike goes northwest to the Queens
Well, and for the adventurous, past the
Queens Well up to the 3,081ft / 939m
This. Postcode: DD9 7YZ
See also a large Click On
Map for Top Attractions in the area.
The image top is of the road leading up into
The second image shows the Glenesk Folk
Museum with a Cafe and fairly large Museum
showing what life was like in the area from the
1700s to 1900s. There is also information on
Queen Victoria who travelled the area when
staying at Balmoral Castle. Balmoral is about
30 miles northwest hiking over the hills.
It is about 11 miles from Edzell up to the
The small Village of Tarfside is 1 mile past
the Folk Museum.
Just past Tarfside is the 1,246ft / 380m
Hill of Rowan
with the Maule Monument on top, a popular hike
with great views all around.
Lochlee Parish Church is 5 miles past the
The Car Park for walking and hiking on the
Invermark Estate is next to the Church.
Invermark Castle is a short walk southwest
from the car park following the road, with
Glenesk Old Parish Church and Loch Lee about 1
mile past the Castle.
The Queens Well is just over 1 mile out from
the Car Park taking the path northwest. The
path to the Queens Well also leads on up to
600s - the first church was built by Loch
Lee by St Drostan.
1300s - the earliest parts of Invermark
Castle were built for an unknown Clan.
1500s - the Lindsays of Crawford had
Invermark Castle rebuilt to help keep Highland
Clans from rebelling against the King.
1600s - Glenesk Old Parish Church was built
at Loch Lee to replace the older Church at Loch
Lee. The second Church is now a ruin.
1605 - Sir David Lindsay, owner of Edzell Castle,
had Invermark Castle heightened, he may have
used the Castle as a Hunting Lodge.
1607 - Invermark Castle was used by the son
of Sir David as a hiding place after he
murdered his relation, Alexander
Lindsay, in Edinburgh.
1746 - the Battle of Culloden took place
by Inverness, the last Jacobite Battle where
the Jacobites were defeated by a larger
1750s - the Highland Clearances began,
forcing Crofters off their land to make way for
large scale sheep farming, and to prevent any
more Jacobite Risings. Many crofters from
Glenesk were forced to move to the coast for
fishing, to cities, or to emigrate to North
America and Canada.
1783 - the US gained independance for
Britain. Many Crofters seen as touble makers,
would then be accused of crimes such as sheep
stealing and deported to Australia.
1803 - Invermark Castle was abandoned,
falling into ruin.
1803 - Lochlee Church was built by Invermark
Castle, using stone and roofing from the
1840s - a Cottage used as a Retreat was
built in Glenesk by Captain Wemyss.
1852 - Invermark Lodge
was built for John Ramsay, 13th Earl of
Dalhousie, to serve as a Hunting Lodge.
1856 - Balmoral Castle was completed for
Queen Victoria and Prince Albert, about 30
miles northwest over the hills from
1861 - Queen Victoria and Prince Albert
crossed the mountains on horses to visit
Glenesk. They drank from a well by Invermark,
now known as the Queens Well, with a Stone
Crown built over the Well.
1955 - local school teacher Greta Michie
opened the Glenesk Folk Museum, on the site of
the former Retreat.