Killin is a village 44 miles west of
Perth at Loch Tay.
The village is popular for the Falls
of Dochart on the River Dochart, the 23 mile
Lane between Killin and Callander, Golf, Moirlanich Longhouse Museum,
and a number Mountains for hiking
including the 3,983ft / 1,214m Ben
Lawers with a mountain car par and
View a Click on Map for the Area
Attractions and Mountains.
The image top is of the road from the south
entering Killin with the Falls of Dochart to
the left and Falls of Dochart Inn
to the right. Ben Lawers mountain can be seen
in the distance. Falls Large
The Clan MacNab
burial ground is on Inchbuie Island by Killin
Bridge. This was one of the most prominent
Clans in the area.
The image of Killin Main Street is looking
north with the Capercaillie
Restaurant with Rooms on the right.
At the north end of Main Street is the
Killin Parish Church and Killin Hotel next to the River
Lochay. The Killin Hotel has outdoor seating
overlooking the River where there is a Boating
Loch Tay can be found by driving or walking
down Pier Road. Follow the main road north from
the Killin Hotel for a few hundred yards from
where Pier Road begins crossing a bridge over
There are walking trails at the Loch but
little else, surprising there are no boating
facilities. Loch Tour Boats stopped operating
ruins are mid way along Pier Road, on the left
side going toward the Loch. This Castle was
built in the 1600s for Duncan Campbell. There
are interesting Graves by the Castle of Sir
Gavin and Lady Campell from 1922 and 1932.
Killin Golf Course is one mile north of the
Killin Hotel, open to visitors.
Ben Lawers Car Park is 6 miles northeast of
Killin, up on the mountainside at 1,400ft above
sea level. There are a number of mountains in
this area popular for hiking, and a nature
trail for walking. Folow the main A827 road
northeast towards Aberfeldy for about 4 miles
then take the well signed Hill Road up to the
Mountain car park.
Lawers Dam is situated about one mile past
the Car Park on the Hill Road that crosses
right over between the mountains, a fantastic
drive on a clear day with a number of great
spots for walks high in the hills. The Hill
Road eventually takes you to Aberfeldy, 16
miles longer that the main road.
The Dam was completed in 1956 as part of the
Breadalbane Hydro-Electric Scheme, about
1,800ft above sea level.
1100? - the MacNab Clan had Eilean Ran
Castle built on an Island at the mouth of the
River Dochart. The MacNnab's were the prominent
Clan in tha area at that time.
MacNab's also made their burial ground on
Inchbuie Island, one mile up-river from their
Castle, next to where Killin Bridge stands
1300s - the MacNab's opposed Robert the
Bruce, leading to their land being taken by the
Crown after Bruce became King of Scotland.
1336 - King David II, son of Robert the
Bruce, returned the lands to Clan MacNab.
1629 - Finlarig Castle was built for the
Campbells 1 mile north of where Killin village
is today, close to Eilan Ran Castle.
The Cambells and MacNab's were involved in a
number of disputes over the centuries.
1654 - Eilean Ran Castle was destroyed by
Cromwells Government forces. This was after the
MacNab's had fought on the Royalist side of the
English Civil War.
The MacNab clan seat then moved to Kinnell House,
on the outskirts of Killin. The Killin Stone
Circle is in the grounds of the house.
The Campbells fought on the Government side
during the English Civil War. Backing the
winning side allowed the Campbells to become
the prominent Clan in the area.
1744 - the Parish Church at Killin was
1760 - the bridge was bult over the River
Tay at the Falls of Dachart.
1800s early - Kinnell House was sold to the
Campbells to help pay off MacNab debts.
1825 - the MacNab clan chief and about 500
Clan members emigrated to the Ottawa River
Valley in Canada.
1855 - Steamers began
operating on Loch Tay providing sightseeing
tours throughout the summer.
1886 - the Railway opened at Killin bringing
in tourists to the village and for boat trips
on Loch Tay.
1902 - Killin Golf Club is founded.
1939 - the Steamers were stopped from
operating on Loch Tay at the beginnig of WWII,
they never ran again.
1949 - Kinnell House was bought by the 22nd
1950 - Ben Lawers Mountain was aquired by
the National Trust to serve as a Nature Reserve
with a large car park for walking and hiking
1956 - Lawers Dam is completed in the
mountians above Killin, next to Ben Lawers
1965 - Killin Railway Station was
1978 - Kinnell House was sold to to someone
unknown to pay MacNab death duties.
1987 - Inchbuie Island was gifted to the
MacNab Memorial Trust, so the island would
remain in MacNab ownership.
1992 - the Moirlanich Longhouse was acquired
by the National Trust for Scotland to serve as