Kippford village is situated in
Dumfries and Galloway southwest Scotland,
64 miles east of Stranraer, 18 miles
southwest of Dumfries, 4 miles south of
Kippford attracts visitors for its
cafes, local ice cream, seating areas
with great views, coastal walk, golf,
boating, bar meals and a holiday
There is parking down the main street
as seen right, but this can be full on
summer days, so you may have to park at
the north end of the village at the
Village Hall and Marina.
See also a large Click On Map for the
area Top Attractions.
The image top is of The Ark cafe at the
south side of Kippford. This is also a gift
shop selling local craft. There is outside
seating with good views over the River Urr and
out to the Solway. The Ark also sells local ice
There is a popular coastal walk from The Ark
south to the scenic village of Rockcliffe, about one mile south.
The Kippford Slipway is situated by The Ark
with parking and seating in the area. The slip
is used by people for getting their vessels and
jet skies into the water. The Kippford Slipway
stocks boating equipment.
The Anchor Hotel is
situated close to the slipway with views over
the river and marina. The hotel has outside
seating, sells local ales, and has a seasonal
menu using local produce.
The Rosemount Guest House
is also situated on the main street with river
and marina views.
The Mariner Hotel - Bar -
Restaurant & Coffee Shop is also
situated on the main street with views over the
The Kippford Village
Hall and Millennium Cross are also situated
on the main street overlooking the marina. The
hall is used for events throughout the year,
all listed on the website.
The Solway Yacht Club is
situated next to the hall. The website has a
list of events held throughout the year, well
There are great views from the marina up the
River Urr and south out into the Solway.
Club is a scenic 9 hole - par three golf
course on the outskirts of Kippford.
Lodges are also situated on the outskirts
of Kippford with a range of lodges available
400s - an Iron Age Fort is built about 1
mile southeast of Kippford, thought to have
been used up to the 700s.
1700s late - a village named Scuar is built
up around a harbour here for ships transporting
granite from quarries and a paper mill at
Dalbeattie, also for passenger trade.
This is the furthest north point fairly
large ships can reach up Urr Water, taking
ships about 350 to 400 tons.
Shipbuilding and ship repair companies also
began operating here with ships having to be
launched sideways into the water.
1860s - the Caledonian Quarry Company built
a pier to load crushed granite into ships.
1870 - a post office was opened under the
name Kippford, the name the village has become
known as today.
1900 - the Solway Yacht Club was formed.
1900s early - shipbuilding ceased in the
1900s early - Craigieknowes Golf Club is
1914 - the slipway for launching boats was
1920s - ship repairs stopped.
Today - Kippford is a popular village for
holidays and day visitors.