Maclellan's Castle is situated in Dumfries &
Galloway southwest Scotland, 48 miles east of
27 miles southwest of Dumfries, in Kirkcudbright town.
The castle and visitor centre have a small fee to
enter, open from 1st April to 30th September, 9.30 to
5.30. You can tour the castle interior and
Map / DG6 4JD .
Area Click On Map . Large Images .
MacLellan's Castle was built in the 1570s in the
centre of Kirkcudbright town, next to the River Dee
MacLellan's Castle History
875 - monks from the Holy Isle of Lindisfarne had
to flee Norse invaders with the bones of St Cuthbert,
and sought sanctuary at Kirkcudbright.
It is thought there was a church above the east
side of the town around that time named St
Cuthbert's, where the cemetery is today.
A settlement was probably around the area of the
present day harbour.
1100s - a castle is built a few hundred yards
southwest of where MacLellan's castle stands today,
only the mound and foundations remain, next to
1449 - Greyfriars monastery is built on the site
of the present day MacLellan's castle.
1569 - Thomas MacLellan of Bombie obtained the
site of the ruined Greyfriars monastery. Stone from
the old castle and monastery were used to build the
new castle, only the small chapel was retained, now
known as Greyfriars Church.
Greyfriars Church contains the burial aisle of the
1577 - Construction of MacLellan's Castle
1633 - Thomas MacLellan was made 1st Lord
Kirkcudbright. He had served time in prison at
Edinburgh in his younger years for an affray in
Kirkcudbright , and for shooting a relative of the
Minister of Kirkcudbright Church.
Thomas MacLellan obtained land in Ireland during
the Plantation of Ulster, leading to the family
wealth being used up paying for troops to protect
their estates in Ireland.
He was also a Presbyterian involved with the
Covenanters as Scots tried to prevent the king
becoming head of churches in Scotland. He died in
1649 - the third Lord Kirkcudbright was defeated
at the Battle of Lisnagarvey in Ireland, resulting in
the family loosing their wealth.
1742 - the MacLellan's moved the last of their
belongings out of the castle as the roof was
1912 - the castle was taken over by by Historic
Environment Scotland so the remains could be
preserved to serve as a visitor attraction.