Ruthven Barracks are situated 1 mile
southeast of Kingussie in the
Highlands of Scotland, 69 miles northwest
of Perth, 15 miles south of
The Barracks are open 7 days a week,
all year round, free of charge. Postcode:
See also a large Click On
Map for the area Towns and Top
The image top is of Ruthven Barracks from
the Car Park with Kingussie in the distance
This was the site of Ruthven Castle built
from 1229, used by Alexander
Stewart, Wolf of Badenoch, son of King
Ruthven Castle was partially demolished
during the first Jacobite
Rising in 1689. Jacobite Risings were a
series of Conflicts between 1689 and 1746,
mainly Highland Clans fighting to have the
Stuart Kings restored to the throne of Great
Ruthven Barracks were built on the site of
Ruthven Castle, completed in 1721 for
Government Troops, to try and prevent further
1746 - Ruthven Barracks were taken by a
large Jacobite force.
17th April 1746, one day after the Jacobite
defeat at the Battle of Culloden, about 3,000
retreating Jacobite's destroyed Ruthven
The remains of the Barracks are now
preserved as a Tourist Attraction.
1799 - the 4th Duke of
Gordon began the building of Kingussie
Town, 1 mile west of Ruthven Barracks.
The Duke owned vast areas of land throughout
north Scotland, with this being a time
landowners were encouraging Crofters to move
into Towns for industry such as Textiles. Land
the Crofters worked, was then used for large
scale sheep farming.
Many Crofters emigrated to North America at
Other Barracks and Forts built in the
Highlands around that time were:
1654 - Fort William north of Glencoe built by
forces of Oliver Cromwell, then later used
against the Jacobite's, with the Cameron's and
MacDonald's being the main Jacobite Clans in
1717 - Bernera
Barracks on the route from Fort William to
the Isle of Skye.
1727 - the original Fort George in Inverness.
1729 - Fort Augustus on the south side of
Northern Castles used by the Government
against the Jacobite's were:
Blair Castle north of Perth, owned by
Murry's, used by Government forces, and at
times taken by Jacobite's.
Inveraray Castle on the mountain road
to Oban, owned by Campbell's.
Kilchurn Castle on the mountain road
to Oban, also owned by Campbell's.
Urquhart Castle on the west side of
Loch Ness owned by Grant's, was eventually
blown up to prevent Jacobite's from using
and Bridges were built throughout Scotland at
that time, linking these Castles and Barracks.
Many of these Military Roads are still used
Some of the Bridges are amazing, although
most are now only used for walking as they were
too narrow for cars in both directions. View
Old Invercauld Bridge by Balmoral