See also a large Click On Map for the area Top
The image top is of the large Taynuilt Guest House, formerly
a Coaching Inn built in the 1500s.
The image second top is of the Taynuilt war
memorial designed by Sir Robert Lorimer in
There is a Train Station in the village on
the line that links Glasgow to Oban and
The village is situated on the River Nant
about half of a mile before it flows into
Loch Etive that
is 20 miles / 31km long.
The village evolved as a staging post in
this area as it is at the narrowest crossing on
1228 - Killespickerill Church was built on a
small hill to the east of the main street, seat
of the Bishop of Argyll at that time. This site
is where Muckairn Parish Church was built in
1829 using stone from Killespickerill
1230 - Ardchattan Priory was built on
the north shore of Loch Etive.
1308 - Ardchattan Priory was the venue for
the last Scottish Parliament held in Gaelic.
The remains of the priory can be visited.
1500s - the Taynuilt Inn is built for
coaches traveling the west highlands.
1690 - a regular ferry service began running
between Taynuilt and Bonawe across Loch
1753 - the Bonawe Iron Furnace was
constructed about half of a mile north of
Taynuilt. The area had vast woodlands needed to
produce the charcoal for smelting iron. The
iron ore was shipped in from England. This
provided work for the area at the smelter
itself and about 600 charcoal burners
throughout the area.
1756 - the furnace was so important, a
military road was constructed through mountains
at the Pass of
Brander, and the Bridge of Awe
had to be constructed to reach the furnace.
1781 - the Bonawe Iron Furnace produced
1885 - an Engraved Stone
Monument was erected by Taynuilt to
commemorate the death of Nelson at the 1885
Trafalgar. This is said to be the first
monument created in Nelson's honour.
1829 - Stonework from Killespickerill Church
was used to build Muckairn Parish Church in
Taynuilt. This Church has great views east to
Ben Cruachan mountain.
1876 - the Bonawe Iron Furnace was closed.
It now serves as a tourist attraction run by
Historic Environment Scotland.
1880 - the Oban Railway
was completed with trains then running between
Glasgow, Crianlarich, Taynuilt and Oban.
1900s - steam ferries running between
Taynuilt and Bonawe began carrying cars and
1900s - birch brooms for use in steel mills
were made in the Taynuilt woodlands.
1920 - Taynuilt War Memorial designed by Sir
Robert Lorimer was erected in the village.
1966 - the Taynuilt to Bonawe ferry across
Loch Etive stopped operating. The Connel Bridge 7
miles west at the mouth of Loch Etive was
converted from a rail bridge to road traffic
1987 - the scenic Taynuilt Golf club is
opened with 9 holes.