The Lodge Visitor Centre by
The Lodge Forest Visitor Centre is situated
about 1 mile northeast of Aberfoyle,
next to the scenic hill road between Aberfoyle,
Katrine and Callander.
The visitor centre here is part of the vast
Queen Elizabeth Forest Park in an area known as
The Lodge is situated high in the hills with
great views from its cafe. It also has a museum
showing the history of the area.
The Go Ape
adventure is situated next to The Lodge with
zip wires and many more tree top
The image right is the Go Ape Zip Wire at
426 meters long, one of the longest in the UK.
There are also Tarzan Swings, Rope Ladders and
a range of obstacles and crossings.
The visitor centre gives information on the
area and has great views over the vast forest,
ideal for watching birds of prey.
The cafe at the visitor centre sits high
above a valley with great views for miles.
The forest park has a number of signed
walking routes, and forest roads to drive
around passing three lochs. The forest roads
are open between April and September.
The vast Queen Elizabeth Forest Park runs
form the east side of Loch Lomond
to east of Callander. It was designated as a
Forest Park in 1953 to mark the coronation of
Queen Elizabeth II.
The Lodge Forest Visitor Centre was built in
1960 with funds from the Carnegie Trust.
This area is referred to as the Trossachs,
made famous in 1810 by Sir Walter Scott's poem
The Lady of the
Lake, a story about three men trying to win
the love of a lady from Loch Katrine.
Scott's 1817 novel Rob Roy, about
an outlaw cattle thief born at Loch Katrine,
led to more interest in the area. Rob Roy is
buried at Balquhidder 26 miles north of The
Inchmahome Priory on
an Island in a Lake 5 miles east is another top
attractions in the Ares.