Torridon is a small Village in
northwest Scotland, 62 miles west of
Inverness, popular for Hiking,
Outdoor Activities, Deer Museum, and its
remote scenic location surrounded by
View a Click on Map for the Area
Attractions and Mountains.
The image top is looking west down Glen
Torridon towards Torridon Village.
The image second top is of the 3,461ft
Liathach mountain by Torridon Village with a
large car park for hiking. There are a number
of extremely popular mountains in this area for
hiking, photographs, or paintings, see the
Click on Map link above to view where these
mountains are situated.
Torridon Village is mainly a row of houses
sitting below the mountains at the head of Loch
The Torridon Shop / Cafe is in the Village
centre with outdoor seating for the views.
The Torridon Hostel
and a free Campsite is at
the east entrance to the Village.
Centre and Deer Museum are by the Village
giving information on the area and the
management of Deer on the vast Torridon Estate,
also with a herd of Deer to view.
Outdoor is situated 2 miles south of
Torridon offering a wide range of activities
such as Archery, Shooting, Walking, Hiking,
Kayaking, Gorge Scrambling, Cycling and
By Torridon Outdoor is the Torridon Inn and
Torridon Hotel, all
part of the same business.
16 miles south of Torridon is the Mountain
Road that runs across the 2,539ft / 774m Sgurr
a' Chaorachain mountain to the small coastal
village of Applecross. This is one of the most
spectacular roads in Scotland reaching a height
of 2,054ft with steep hairpin bends, Large Images .
Loch Maree is
situated 12 miles north of Torridon with
Isle Maree on
the Loch containing the remains of a Chapel
dedicated to Saint
Maelrubha. Isle Maree olso contains the
famous Oak Tree that people hammer coins into
before making a Wish. Boat Trips.
1700s - Clan Mackenzie were the largest
landowners in the area.
1831 - Torridon Estate was sold to a Colonel
McBarnet who had made his fortune from
plantations in the West Indies. McBarnet began
clearing the land for large scale sheep
farming, part of the Highland Clearances.
1873 - Duncan Darroch, Baron of Gourock,
bought the Torridon Estate, encouraging
crofters to return to their lands and
established a Deer Park.
1876 - the 18 bedroom Torridon House was
built close to Torridon for Duncan Darroch to
serve as his Mansion on the Estate.
1887 - a Hunting Lodge named Beinn Damph
House was built 2 miles south of Torridon for
the first Earl of Lovelace.
1800s late - Queen Victoria visited the
1910 - Duncan Darroch died at Torridon
House, leading to the Estate passing to the
1960s - the Hunting Lodge named Beinn Damph
House was converted to serve as The Torridon
1964 - the Earl of Lovelace died, leading to
the Torridon Estate being confiscated by the
Inland Revenue in part payment of his death
1967 - the Torridon Estate was transferred
to the National Trust for Scotland.
2013 - the Torridon Estate was put up for
sale for £3.75 million.
now offers B&B accommodation in Torridon
House and Holiday Cottages.
2015 - the North Coast 500 route was
established, leading to vast numbers of
tourists driving around the north of Scotland
and and through Torridon.