University of Glasgow and Hunterian
Museum situated about 2 miles northwest
of George Square.
The Unversity of Glasgow was founded in 1451
by Bishop William Turnbull, with the first
classes taken in the Glasgow Cathedral
buildings. This is the second oldest university
in Scotland, after St Andrews. The university
buildings expanded over the following centuries
into a huge complex next to Glasgow Cathedral.
This present University of Glasgow building, on
the west side of Glasgow, was completed in
1870. Nothing of the Old University
The museums in the University buildings are
the Hunterian Museum, Hunterian Art Gallery,
Mackintosh House, and the Zoology Museum.
The Hunterian Museum, is Scotland's oldest
public museum with displays such as: Scottish
mineral treasures, dinosaurs, fossils, world
culture, and much more.
The image above was taken from the
Kelvingrove Art Gallery & Museum car
The university is on the Tour Bus route . University Google
Map . Postcode: G12 8QQ . Tel: 0 141 330
FREE Admission .
The Hunterian Art Gallery, has a wide range
of Masterpieces by Rembrandt, Rubens, Chardin,
Whistler, and Stubbs, alongside major examples
of Scottish art, including the Scottish
Colourists, and Glasgow Boys.
The Mackintosh House, is the reassembled
principal interiors from the Glasgow home of
Charles Rennie Mackintosh.
The Zoology Museum, features displays
showing the amazing diversity of the animal
The University of Glasgow has scenic garden
walks, with statues of Lord Kelvin, Glasgow's greatest
scientist, and Joseph Lister, a top British surgeon,
and a pioneer of antiseptic surgery. Image of
the Kelvin and Lister statues.
Next to the University of Glasgow, is the
Kelvingrove Art Gallery &
Museum, the scenic Kelvingrove Park,
and sitting high above the park, is Park
Terrace and Park Circus, an area of Glasgow
modeled on the architecture of Bath.
You can walk up through Kelvingrove Park to
Park Circus. Kelvingrove Park