William Wallace Statue by
The William Wallace Statue is situated
between Melrose and St
Boswells on the B6356 road, 4 miles
east of Melrose, 3 miles north of St
Boswells, 9 miles west of Kelso, in
the Borders area of Scotland.
Large Click On Map for the area Towns and
The image top is of the Car Park right next
to the B6356 road. It is about a 1 mile walk
from the Car Park out to the Statue on a
woodland path. The path may be muddy in places
if there has been a lot of rain.
The Wallace Statue is in the grounds of the
Bemersyde Estate, designed by John Smith of
Darnick for David Steuart
Erskine, 11th Earl of Buchan, in 1814.
This was the first Monument built in honour
Wallace, the Scottish Knight that led
Scotland during the Wars of Scottish
Independance from 1297 till his execution
by the English in 1305.
The National Wallace Monument by Stirling
Castle was completed in 1869, 55 years
The oldest part of Bemersyde House
is the Peel Tower built in 1535 for the Haig's.
Bemersyde was the home of Field-Marshal, 1st
British Commander during World War I. Haig is
burried at Dryburgh Abbey next to Sir Walter
Scott. The Gardens are open to the Public
certain days in summer?
The Statue, 9 M / 31 feet high, looks over
the River Tweed.
1991 - the Saltire Society raised funds to
renovate the Staue, with Bob Heath and
Graciella Glenn Ainsworth carrying out the
At the base of the monument are the
Erected by David Stuart Erskine, Earl of
Buchan WALLACE GREAT PATRIOT HERO! ILL REQUITED
By the statue of Wallace is a Plaque
The peerless Knight of Ellerslie
Who wav'd on Ayr's Romantic shore
The beamy torch of Liberty
And roaming round from Sea to Sea
From Glade obscure of gloomy Rock
His bold companions call'd to free
The Realm from Edward's Iron Yoke.
The Temple of the
Muses is further down the hill from the
Wallace Statue. This is a nine columned Gazebo
built in 1817 on Bass Hill for David Stuart
Erskine in honour of the poet James
The Temple may be easier to visit from
Dryburgh Abbey, or from the Foot Bridge over
the River Tweed. Temple Map
Scott's View is 2 miles north on the
same B6356 road, with great views over the
Eildon Hills by Melrose, and River Tweed.
Dryburgh Abbey is about 1 mile south
of the Wallace Statue off the same B6356 road,
a must visit for the graves of Sir Walter Scott
and Earl Haig.
Smailholm Tower is 5 miles east
towards Kelso, a must visit for information on
the area from the 1200s to 1600s when cross
border raids were common in the area, stealing
cattle, valuables, and murdering anyone that
got in the way.