Applecross is a small remote Village in
northwest Scotland, 80 miles west of Inverness, 27
miles southwest of Torridon, popular for its
Mountain Road, Outdoor Activities,
and Views over the Isle of Skye. The Peninsular
is also known as Applecross.
Click on Map for area Attractions
Camping & Touring Parks in
The image top is of the Bealach Cafe at the
start of the Mountain Road to Applecross named
Bealach na Ba / Pass of the Cattle.
The image second top is looking back down
the Mountain Road at the steepest point. This
part of the road is real steep with hairpin
bends that have to be taken in first gear.
If you have a large camper van or towing
caravan, it is best to use the coastal road to
The Viewpoint is at 2,053ft, close to the
top of the top of the 2,539ft / 774m Sgurr a'
Chaorachain mountain, from where there are even
more dramatic views if you hike the top 500ft.
Campsite is at the east entrance to the
Village from the Mountain Road. The campsite
has pitches for Tents, Motorhomes, and has
Camping Huts and Caravans for hire.
The small Village of Applecross has a Gift
and Crafts shop, and Cafe / Bistro
at the entrance.
Mountain and Sea
Guides are situated in the Village centre
offering a wide range of activities such as Sea
Kayaking, Walking, Hiking, and Climbing. They
also hire Kayaks.
The Applecross Inn is
probably the top attraction in the area with it
specializing in Seafood.
Garden with a Cafe and Restaurant is one
mile north of the Village.
The Applecross Heritage
Centre is also about one mile north of the
Village, giving historical information on the
area and old images.
The Coastal Road north to Torridon is
about 34 miles passing through a number of
Hamlets. The Coastal Road has views over Raasay
Island and the Isle of Skye.
500s? - the Pictish name for this Peninsular
672 - the Irish Saint Maelrubha founded a
Monastery at Applecross.
A number of Churches were built in the area
dedicated to Saint
Maelrubha, including a Chapel on Isle Maree in
Loch Maree is 65 miles north of Applecross with
the famous Oak Tree that people hammer coins
into before making a Wish. Boat Trips.
1817 - the Applecross Parish Church was
built close to where the Monastery was.
1822 - a Gravel road was built over the
Mountain to Applecross Village. Before this
time, the Village could only be reached by
1897 - large Ferries began running between
Kyle of Lochalsh 40 miles south of
Applecross and the Isle of Harris, stopping to
pick up passengers at Applecross, with the
passengers having to use small boats to travel
out to the Ferries.
1960s - the Mountain road was surfaced with
Tar. This road can be blocked by snow for a few
months each winter.
1975 - the Coastal Road north to Torridon
was completed, leading to Applecross being
accessible most of the year.
Today - the Applecross Peninsular attracts
many tourists interested in the more remote
parts of Scotland with small Hamlets. The
coastal road ends at Toscaig, 4 miles south of
Applecross, where there was a Pier for boat
links to the Peninsular.