Ballachulish is a Village in the Highlands
of Scotland, 94 miles northwest of Glasgow, 15
miles south of Fort William, 1 mile west of
Ballachulish is popular for Mountain Hiking,
Watersports, Walking and 9 Hole Golf,
also a good base for the area with Glencoe,
Kinlochleven and Fort William close by, also,
there is the 14 mile drive down the west coast
to Castle Stalker and Port Appin, and Oban is 16 miles
past Castle Stalker.
Click On Map for area Attractions
Camping & Touring Parks in
The top image is of Ballachulish Bridge,
completed in 1974 to replace the Ferries that
crossed here on the road up to Fort William.
There is a high point with a Memorial on the
south side of the Bridge where the Jacobite -
John Stewart was Hanged.
The Ballachulish Hotel is
close to the Bridge, built in 1877 as a
stopover for travellers heading up into the
Highlands, at that time by Horse and
St Johns Church is 1 mile east of the
Bridge, built in 1842.
The main Village of Ballachulish is 2 miles
east of the Bridge, with the Village built
around the Slate Quarry that operated from 1693
to the 1950s.
The main Entrance to Ballachulish is at the
Village Hall, where there is a large Car Park,
Information Centre and large Co-op shop.
The old Slate Quarry is across the road from
Information Centre with Notice Boards giving
information on the Quarry and Walks.
Just round from the Information Centre are
the Playing Fields with the Laroch Inn with a
Diner and Mountain Training Centre next to the
The 1,024m / 3,360ft Beinn a'
Bheithir mountain sits high above
Ballachulish, with the main Trail being Park at
the Information Centre, walk round past the
Playing Fields, go up past the School, past a
small Farm, then pick one of the two Ridges up,
one named the Schoolhouse Ridge.
from the small Farm.
The Isles of Glencoe Hotel
can be found by going under the Main Road from
Ballachulish. This Hotel was built in 1992.
Watersports is situated at the Isles of
Glencoe Hotel, with paddle boarding and sailing
or powerboat courses.
1693 - the Slate Quarry at Ballachulish
began operating, with the Village growing
around the Quarry.
1733 - a Ferry began operating across the
narrow point on Loch Leven at Ballachulish,
saving the 16 mile road trip around the loch
1752 - the Jacobite named James Stewart was
hanged at a high point above the south Ferry
Slip, with his body left hanging for years to
serve as a warning to other Jacobites.
1842 - St Johns Church was built 1 mile east
of the Ferry Slip.
1877 - the Ballachulish Hotel was built next
to the Ferry Slip to serve as a stopover for
1895 - the first Cars were imported into
1912 - Car Ferries began operating on the
1975 - the Ballachulish Bridge was built,
ending the Ferry Service.
1992 - the Isles of Glencoe Hotel was built
at Ballachulish, next to Loch Leven, with
Watersports available from the Hotel.