See also a large Click On
Map for the area Top Attractions.
The image top is of the Brechin Mechanics
Institute when entering the town from the
east. The building was opened in 1839. It is
now used for events.
The second image is of the Town House Museum
in the town centre at the High Street. The
Museum gives information on Brechin from the
Bronze Age through the Scottish Wars and on to
today. There is also and Art Gallery in the
Brechin Cathedral is close to the Town House
Museum, with the earliest parts built from the
1200s. The Round Tower at the Cathedral was
built around the 1100s.
St Ninian's Square is situated a short
distance west of the High Street with a Library
and statue of Robert Watt,
pioneer of Radar.
By St Ninian's Square is the Caledonian
Railway with Steam Trains run by
volunteers. This line was built in the 1840s,
closed in 1981, then in 1993, a four mile
section was re-opened for Steam Trains to run
at weekends in summer for tourists.
On the west side of Brechin is the Football
Club with its famous Hedge, that serves as a
wall down the west side.
Distillery is on the north side of Brechin
Centre next to Brechin Park. The distillery was
founded in 1825 by George Cooper. Tours have to
Club is situated on the west side of the
town, an 18 hole parkland course that welcomes
visitors, founded in 1893.
500 BC - a number of Bronze Age
Artifacts from around this time were found
in the Brechin area. Some of these artifacts
can be viewed in the Brechin Town House
600 AD - Christianity is said to have
evolved in Brechin with the arrival of St
800s - a religious order known as the
Culdees had built a church in Brechin.
972 - King Kenneth II gifted lands and
property to the religious community in
1100s? - the Round Tower was built by the
1200s - the earliest parts of Brechin
Cathedral are built next to the Round
1200s - the earliest parts of Brechin Castle
were built a short distance south of the
1303 - Brechin Castle was attacked by forces
of Edward I of England during the Scottish Wars of
Independence. Large stone balls hurled at
the Castle can be viewed in Brechin Town House
1400s - Brechin was hit by the Black Death
1480 - there was a Tolbooth in the centre of
Brechin on the High Street that served as a
Jail and Courtroom.
1648 - the town was again hit by the Black
Death, killing about two thirds of the
1690s - the Earls of Dalhousie converted
Brechin Castle into a Mansion.
1790 - the Tolbooth was replaced by the Town
House that served as a courtroom and debtors
1825 - the Glencadam Whisky Distillery
opened in Brechin. Brewing ale was also a part
of the towns economy at that time.
1840s - the Caledonian Railway reached
Brechin, connecting the town to major cities
throughout the UK.
1853 - a late Bronze Age
Hoard with four swords, a spearhead, and a
chape were found on the lands of Cauldhame by
1870s - Brechin had a paper mill, two flax
mills, and five linen factories.
1892 - Sir Robert
Watson-Watt was born in Brechin, a pioneer
of Radar that was used during World War
1893 - Brechin Golf Club was founded.
1906 - Brechin Football Club was
1981 - the railway to Brechin was
1993 - a four mile long section of the
Railway from Brechin was re-opened for Steam
Trains to run on at weekends in summer for
2003 - the Town House was converted to serve
as the Brechin Town House Museum.