Broadford is a Village in the central area
of the Isle of Skye, 7 miles north of the
Bridge, 26 miles south of Portree.
Broadford is the second largest settlement on
Skye, after Portree, popular for its Market,
where Drambuie was first made at the Broadford
Hotel, and Accommodation as it is well situated
for exploring the whole Island.
Click on Map Area Attractions
List Postcode: IV49 9AE
Camping & Touring Parks in
The top image is looking north along the
Main Street. This is the main road that runs
north from the Fery port village of Armadale and
the Skye Bridge to Portree. The Mountain in the
distance is the 732m / 2,402ft Beinn na
Caillich, known as a Red Cuillin.
Many of the mountains on the east side of
Skye are reddish with dome tops. Mountains in
the central area are darker with pinnacles,
known as Black Cuillins. A number of the Black
Cuillins are over 3,000ft, attracting vast
numbers of hikers and climbers from around the
The second image is of the Dunollie Hotel
in the centre of the village.
The third image is of the Isle of Skye
Market Square on the Main Street. There are a
number of interesting Little Shops and an
The fourth image is of Broadford House Skye
B&B, also on the Main Street.
The Broadford Hotel is
situated at the north end of the Village where
a minor road leads west to the scenic village
of Elgol on the west coast, popular for boat
trips. The Hotel is famous as the place the
liqueur Drambuie was developed.
Broadford Harbour is situated behind the
Market Square and Dunollie Hotel.
800s - Vikings gained control of Skye and
most other islands in Scotland, giving this
area the name Broad Ford, a Wide Bay.
1100s? - At Beinn na Caillich mountain, in
Glen Suardal, Clan Mackinnon from Skye, is said
to have defeated the Vikings in battle.
1100s - the Vikings are forced out of the
Western Isles by Scottish Kings. Scots Clans,
loyal to the Kings, were used to gain, and keep
control of the areas once held by the
1698 - first records are made of Marble
being Quarried in this area of Skye.
1700s - Broadford was a cattle market.
1746 - Bonnie Prince Charlie was helped by
Captain John MacKinnon of Skye to flee Scotland
after the Jacobite defeat at the Battle of
Culloden. In return, Charlie gave MacKinnon
a recipe for his personal liqueur made from
Brandy, honey, herbs and spices. The
MacKinnon's then began making the liqueur for
1812 - Thomas Telford built a road from
Portree to Kyleakin, passing through Broadford.
Kyleakin is where ferries ran before the Skye
Bridge was completed in 1995, the shortest
crossing to the Scottish mainland.
1800s - Veterans of the Napoleonic Wars
settled in Broadford, with an area of the
village named Waterloo.
1800s - James Ross ran the Broadford Inn,
today the Broadford Hotel, where he developed
the liqueur the MacKinnon's had been making for
over 100 years, by mixing Scotch whisky, honey,
herbs and spices. Ross named the liqueur
Drambuie, meaning in Scots Gaelic, the drink
1800s - marble was Quarried at the Beinn na
Caillich Hill on the northwest side of
1893 - the name Drambuie was registered as a
1904 - a Railway was built to carry Marble
to the Pier at Broadford.
1907 - the company named Skye Marble was set
up, expanding Marble production and
Skye marble is claimed to have been used in
buildings such as Armadale Castle, Iona Abbey,
Hamilton Palace by Glasgow, the Vatican in
Italy, and Palace of Versailles in France.
1910 - 1914 - a steam locomotive named the
Skylark was operated on that line.
1909 - production of Drambuie began
in Edinburgh, soon being sold around the