Broughty Castle is situated at Broughty
Ferry Harbour, 4 miles north of Dundee.
The Castle has an Art Gallery, Museum, Kids
Play, and the best Beach for miles. Boat Tours on
the River Tay depart from the harbour at the
Castle. The huge Rock Garden is about 1 mile
The Castle can be visited most of the year
free. Postcode: DD5 2TF
Click On Map for Area Attractions
Camping & Touring Parks in
The image top is from the long sandy beach
looking south to Broughty Castle.
Broughty Castle History
1454 - George Douglas, 4th Earl of Angus,
built a fortified building on this site.
1490 - during the long running disputes
between King James II
and the Douglas Clan, the King awarded this
Castle to his loyal suporter Andrew, 2nd Lord
1495 - Andrew had the main towerhouse seen
today built in place of the earlier
This was an important site at the mouth of
the River Tay, leading to the cities of Dundee
1540s - the Castle was caught up in the wars
between Scotland and England as Henry VIII
tried to force Queen Mary to mary his son
Edward, known as the Rough
1547 - Lord Gray of Foulis surrendered the
castle to the English for a payment. The
English then set about strengthening the
castles defenses and bringing in gun ships.
1550 February - a combination of Scots and
French troops managed to re-capture Broughty
Castle after six days of fighting. Lord Gray
somehow managed to avoid execution by the King
and held onto his lands.
1651 - the Castle was beseiged and taken by
Parliamentarians during the Wars of the Three
Kingdoms. This conflict began after
Parliament forces fought to overthrow King
Charles I. There is a cannonball at the Castle
thought to have been fired during that seige,
and a hole in the wall where it hit.
Dundee was a walled city at that time, home
to the largest gold depository in Scotland,
with many residents loyal to the King.
1660 - Charles II was made king, ending the
rule of the Parliamentarians.
1666 - the Gray family sold the castle as it
was falling into ruin.
1846 - the castle was bought by the
Edinburgh and Northern Railway Company so they
could build a harbour for their railway ferry.
The town was then named Broughty Ferry after
the ferries crossing the River Tay.
1855 - the War Office took control of the
castle at a time invasion from the Russians
seemed likely. Russia was gaining territory
throughout Europe at that time with British
forces engaging them during the Crimea War 1853
1860 - Napoleon III of France began
expanding the French Empire, leading to the War
Office rebuilding and strengthening Broughty
Castle so it could have been used if the French
had invaded Britain.
1886 to 1887 - buildings were constructed to
house submarine miners next to the castle. This
outfit would lay mines in the Tay Estuary at
the start of any conflict to damage enemy
The Castle was used and altered by the War
Office up to the end of the Second World War in
1966 - the Tay Road Bridge was opened 4
miles south leading to the end of the Ferries
from Broughty Ferry.
1969 - Dundee City Council opened Broughty
Castle as a free museum.