Culross is a Village in the Fife area of
Scotland, 25 miles west of Edinburgh, 17
miles east of Stirling.
The Village is popular for its Palace,
Tolbooth, Market Cross, Abbey, Lockit Well, and
Hanging Gardens Viewpoint. Culross Old Church
is about a 1 mile walk northwest of the
Village, and Dunimarle Castle, on the west side
of the Village, can be visited at times. A
notice board is placed by the west side Car
Park when the Castle & Gardens can be
Click On Map for area Attractions
Camping & Touring Parks in
The image top is of Culross from the large
Parkland and Kids Play area. The large west
side Car Park is by the Parkland. There is also
another large Car Park on the east side of the
Village. This Parkland was where the Firth of
Forth used to come up to, allowing ships to get
close to Culross centre.
The second image is of Culross Palace built
from the late 1500s for Sir George Bruce, Laird
of Carnock. Bruce made his fortune as a
Merchant trading with other Forth ports, UK,
and Europe. His main Industries were Coal
Mining and Salt Production from Sea Water.
Bruce had a Coal Mine at Culross that ran
under the Sea, about 150 feet deep? claimed to
be the first Coal Mine in the World to do so.
The Palace can be
visited most days with an entrance fee.
In front of the Palace is a statue of
Admiral Cochrane. Cochrane was born in Ayrshire
in 1775, spending his early years at Abbey
House in Culross, home of the Earls of
Dundonald. His time in the Royal Navy saw him
win a number of battles during the Napoleonic
Wars. He was Naval Commander-in-Chief of the
Chilean Navy in 1818, helping end Spanish
Colonial rule. Cochrane died in 1860, with him
being buried in Westminster Abbey, London.
Next to the Palace is the Tolbooth or Town
House. The Town House was built in 1626 with
the Clock Tower added in 1783. There are Cells
in the building used to hold criminals and
women accused of being Witches in the 1600s.
Culross is said to have had more than its fair
share of Witches. The first floor now has a
Shop and Art.
In front of the Town House is the Tron, used
for weighing goods such as Coal and Salt. Much
of the Coal and Salt would be loaded onto boats
to be sold around the UK and Europe.
Cross is a short walk east of the Town
House, up the Street named Mid Causeway. The
Market Cross was erected in 1588, with the top
section replaced in 1819.
The houses in this area seem to be the
oldest in the Village. Take away the cars, and
its like being back in the 1600s or 1700s, why
Culross is used in so many Films and TV such as
A few hundred yards walk up the steep
Tanhouse Brae and Kirk Street, takes you to
founded in 1217, free to visit. The main
attraction in the Abbey is the Bruce Vault,
where Sir George Bruce and his family are
Back down Kirk Street from the Abbey, is
Erskine Brae, where you can find the Lockit
Well. This was the early water supply for the
Village, that could be turned on and off.
Up Erskine Brae is the Hanging Gardens
Viewpoint. Trees now spoil the view that once
allowed you to look out over the Firth of Forth
The West Kirk / Old
Church is about 1 mile northwest of the Hanging
Gardens following signs. This was the main
Church in Culross from the time it was built in
the 1500s, till the Abbey Church became the
main place of worship in 1633.
The Graveyard at the West Kirk contains a
number of strange Headstones, from a time
Sculls and Bones were used to decorate them.
There has never been a credible reason given as
to why such strange Headstones were
Back down in the Village centre, just east
of the Town House, is the Red Lion Inn, ideal for
refreshments after walking up and down the
steep Braes of Culross. The Inn, built in the
1600s, also serves Pub Food.
Looking down on the west side Car Park, is
Castle. At times, you can visit the Chapel,
Gardens, and Castle Tower. There are signs at
the Entrance by the Car Park when the Castle is
open to the public. You have to walk up from
the Car Park and pay the Gardener/ Tour Guide.
The building seen today was built for the
Erskine family in the 1840s, on the site of an
earlier Castle of Lord Macduff, a prominent
character in Shakespeare's Macbeth.
500s - Culross is said to have been founded
by Saint Serf,
becoming the main port in the area.
900s - the original Dunimarle Castle was
built at Culross for Lord Macduff, Thane of
Fife. Macduff is now
best known as a character in Shakespeare's
Macbeth. Shakespeare has Lady Macduff and her
Children murdered at Dunimarle Castle by
1217 - Culross Abbey was founded by Malcolm
I, Earl of Fife.
1500s - the West Kirk was built as the
1560s - the Reformation in Scotland began
making Catholic Worship illegal, leading to the
destruction of many Abbeys. Some Abbeys were
spared destruction to serve as Protestant
1588 - the Market Cross was erected in
1500s late - Culross Palace was built for
Sir George Bruce, Laird of Carnock. Bruce made
his fortune from Coal Mining and producing Salt
from Sea Water.
1617 - King James VI visited Culross
1622 - the Town House / Tolbooth was built
1633 - the Abbey Church at Culross is used
as the Parish Church after the West Kirk falls
1600s - many women from Culross are accused
of being Witches, locked in the Attic of the
Town House awaiting trial. Those convicted met
a gruesome end, by hanging, fire, stoned, or
crushing. Some women were killed using a
combination of these execution methods.
1840s - Dunimarle Castle on the west side of
Culross is rebuilt for the Erskine Family.
1928 - Culross Palace was uninhabited.
1930s - the National Trust for Scotland
begins work to preserve Culross Village, with
the Palace soon restored to serve as a Tourist
1971 - Culross is used in the film Kidnapped
starring Michael Caine, with many more films
and TV series using the Village from then on,
including Outlander in