Dunblane Cathedral is situated in the centre
of Dunblane town, 31 miles north of
6 miles north of Stirling.
The Cathedral can be visited all year free
of charge. Postcode: FK15 0AQ
Click On Map for area
Touring Parks in area
The image top is from The Square in Dunblane
looking towards the Cathedral.
Dunblane Cathedral History
600s - the Celtic Saint Blane is said to
have founded a Church in this area.
1000s - the earliest parts of Dunblane
Cathedral were built.
1233 - Clement became Bishop of Dunblane,
complaining the original building was falling
apart, and there was no fit place for him to
1230s - the Cathedral was enlarged to what
can be seen today, with little of the original
building remaining, apart from the Tower.
The Bishops Palace was also built at that
time, next to the Cathedral.
1400s - the lower part of the Tower from the
1000s was heightened, as can be seen in the
different colour of stone.
1560s - the Reformation led to the end of
Catholic worship in Scotland, with Cathedrals
and Bishops Palaces abandoned, or converted to
1564 - William Chisholm, last Bishop of
Dunblane, moved to Catholic France, then later
to Rome in Italy. He was known as the Robber
Bishop, as he had transferred land from the
Cathedral to Relatives before he fled.
Dunblane Cathedral was then used as a
Protestant Church of Scotland.
Some other Cathedrals were burned to the
ground at this time, as a series of Wars over
Religion began, only ending after the Battle of
Culloden in 1746.
1600s - the Bishops Palace was demolished
with much of the stone taken for buildings in
1908 - Robert Younger paid for nine Bells
and a Clock to be installed in the Cathedral
Tower, leading to the two Original Bells
being put on display in the Cathedral.
1912 - a major restoration of Dunblane
Cathedral was completed.
2015 - the Tennis player from Dunblane, Andy
Murry, married Kim Sears in Dunblane