Fraserburgh is a Town on the
Aberdeenshire & Moray Coast area of
Scotland, 41 miles north of Aberdeen,
98 miles east of Inverness.
Fraserburgh is popular for its Beach,
Bustling Fishing Harbour, Sea Angling,
Centre, Museum of
Scottish Lighthouses, and a number of
the Area, including Fraserburgh Bay.
See also a large Click On
Map for the area Top Attractions.
Camping & Touring Parks in the
The image top is of the Saltoun Place
Fountain on the road into Fraserburgh from the
The second image is of from Broad Street
looking east to Saltoun Square and the Market
Cross, centre of Fraserburgh. The Market Cross
was originally built in 1613, on the east side
of the Square, before being moved to the centre
of the Square in 1858.
The Saltoun Inn,
built in 1801, is situated on the north side of
the Square, Town House
built in 1855 on the south side, and the
Church next to the Town House in 1803.
Next to the Old Parish Church is the the
Saltoun Mausoleum, with the Saltoun Family
being Lords and Ladies from the 1400s. The
Fraser family gained the title Lord Saltoun
from the 1600s through marriage, with that
Family building much of the the Town, and
naming it Fraserburgh.
Centre is about half of a mile north of the
Town Centre, open from April to October,
covering the History of the Area and People.
This building was completed around 1900 to
store Herring Barrels, converted to the
Heritage Centre in 1998.
The Museum of Scottish
Lighthouses is next to the Heritage Centre,
also with the Kinnaird Head Castle Lighthouse
and Wine Tower. This was the first Lighthouse
on the Scottish mainland, after a giant lamp
was placed on the roof of the Castle in 1787.
Open most of the year.
Some people now travel around the Coast of
Scotland viewing the Lighthouses, as they are
normally on the most rugged and scenic places
you can find. Lighthouses
Fraserburgh Harbour is close to the Town
Centre, a short walk south from the Lighthouse,
probably the best Harbour in Scotland to view
Fishing Boats and Seals.
You can also take Sea Angling trips with
and Misty Angling
Harbour was built from 1576 for Sir
Alexander Fraser, becoming one of the largest
Fishing Harbour's in Scotland. This Harbour
used to be crammed full of Sail Fishing Boats
from the mid 1800s to early 1900s during the
Herring Boom. Herring Photos
Most local Boats are up to 70 feet long, as
this is the maximum size allowed to fish in
certain areas around the coast of Scotland.
Part of the Harbour now holds larger
Trawlers used further out in the North and
Atlantic Seas, over 200 feet long, capable of
catching over 1,000 tons of Fish on each trip,
mainly Blue Whiting, Mackerel, and Herring.
Fraserburgh Beach is on the south side of
the Town with a Cafe and Kids Play. The Beach
stretches for miles south alongside the Golf
Club is on the south side of the Town,
founded in 1777, with this Links Course opened
in 1891, re-designed by James Braid in
1504 - the Fraser's gained
the lands of Philorth through marriage, with
the largest Town that evolved in this area
being named after them, the Burgh of Fraser,
1570 - the Fraser's built Fraserburgh
Castle, also known as Kinnaird Head Castle, at
Kinnaird Head on the north side of the
1576 - Fraserburgh Harbour was built for Sir
Alexander's son, another Alexander Fraser,
inherited the title Lord Saltoun, a
title still held by the Fraser's today. Much of
the Town was built for this Family, and named
1760s - the Highland Clearances began,
forcing small scale Farmers off their Crofts to
make way for large scale Sheep Farming. Some of
these families emigrated to America and Canada,
with others relocating to coastal Villages and
Towns to take up Sea Fishing, or work in
At that time, many Landowners began
investing much of their wealth building up
coastal Villages and Towns, with Harbour's for
Fishing and Trade. There were no Trains at that
time, and travel by Road was by Horse with few
Bridges, so Boats were the main way to Trade
around the country.
1787 - Fraserburgh Castle was
converted to serve as Kinnaird Head Lighthouse,
the first Lighthouse on the mainland of
1798 - the first Horse drawn Mail Coaches
began running up from Edinburgh, using new
Roads and Bridges. With these Roads soon
becoming McAdam Roads, made
from different sizes of small stones that
packed down to make a level, durable Road.
These Mail Coaches also carried
1806 - a private run Lifeboat Service began
1807 - the Harbour was enlarged for the
increasing number of Fishing Boats, the start
of the Herring Boom, with over 800 Sail Fishing Boats
based there at one time. Most of these Sail
Boats were about 20 feet in length. The first
of these Boats had open decks, known for being
easily sunk if waves came over the side.
1858 - the RNLI Lifeboat Station opened,
first official RNLI Station in Scotland.
1865 - Fraserburgh Railway Station opened at
a time Herring Boats were recording record
catches, with the Railway used to transport
Barrels of Herring around the country. The
Railway ended use of the Horse Drawn Mail
The Herring season is from August to
October, with about 2,000 seasonal workers
living in the Town during those months until
the mid 1900s. Herring Photos
& Info .
1895 - the first Cars were imported into
Scotland, creating a lot of dust when traveling
fast over the McAdam Roads.
1902 - Tar was sprayed on the McAdam Roads
to prevent dust, the beginning of modern day
1900s early - powered Fishing Boats began
entering service, soon being built up to 70
feet long, allowing fishing further out into
the North Sea with larger nets, leading to Over
Fishing and Quotas being
introduced from the mid 1900s. Fishing Fleets
were dramatically reduced from this time.
1930s - Diesel engine Trucks began
operating on the Roads around the UK, taking
trade from the Railways.
1964 - the Fisheries Convention signed an
agreement in London for Fishing Rights in
coastal waters of Western Europe and the North
Sea, allowing EU Fishing Boats to Fish around
the UK, and UK Boats to fish around the EU.
1979 - the Railway at
2000s early - Fishing Stocks are stabilized
with new larger Trawlers entering Service at
around 200 feet long, for Deep Sea Fishing in
the Atlantic and North Seas. Fraserburgh
Harbour is a top place to view traditional
Trawlers up to 70 feet, and the larger 200 foot
2010 - a Memorial was
erected at Fraserburgh Harbour in honour of 13
Crew that died in three Lifeboat Disasters at
2010s - European Union Trawlers up to 500
feet in length, with huge nets, Fishing around
the UK, are accused of taking fish species they
are not meant to take.
2020 - the UK leaves the European Union,
stating they are going to control the Fish
Stocks around the UK themselves.