logo image

Glengoyne Distillery

RS Home

Glengoyne Distillery is 13 miles north of Glasgow in the area od Dumgoyne, with regular buses running between Glasgow and the Distillery. Dumgoyne Hill is also popular to visit in the area with a good path from the Distillery.

The Distillery is open 7 days a week from 10:00 - 17:00 with Tours, Tasting's and a Shop. Postcode: G63 9LB.

Map Large Images Website

Click On Map for the area Towns and Top Attractions.

Camping & Touring Parks in the area.

The Image top is of the entrance to Glengoyne Distillery, that produces Single Malt Whisky, 10 to 50 years old, £35 to £22,000 per bottle. You can also pour your own Bottle from a special Cask, strong stuff.

Rare Old Whisky can now be a good investment as the prices seem to keep going up. Some people actually drink this Rare Expensive Whisky, so fewer bottles are left, leading to the price going up for remaining bottles. Many are sold at Auctions.

The second image is of the Booking Office for Tours at the entrance. Large Image of the Distillery and Dumgoyne Hill.

The Shop is up between the buildings with a range of Whisky, Gin, and Souvenirs.
Glengoyne Whisky Range.

Large Image of the Distillery from the top of Dumgoyne Hill.

List of all Whisky Distillers in Scotland that can be visited.

Glengoyne Distillery History

1800s early - there were about 18 Illegal Distilleries in this area producing Whisky they were not paying Tax on.

1823 - an Excise Act cut the price of Tax on Whisky, allowing many Distillers to become legitimate businesses.

1833 - the Glengoyne Distillery was opened by George Connell under the name Burnfoot Distillery, producing Single Malt Whisky, similar to what was being produced in the Highlands and Speyside. It is unclear if Glengoyne had been operating illegally before 1833.

1876 - the Lang Brothers based in Glasgow bought the Distillery, changing the name to Glengoyne, meaning Glen of the Wild Geese.

1965 - the Robertson & Baxter Group took over the Distillery, later forming the Edrington Group, with other Distilleries such as The Macallan, Highland Park, and Famous Grouse.

1966 - the Distillery was enlarged with a third Still added.

1984 - the Queen Mother began using the Lang Brothers to supply her with Whisky.

2003 - Ian Macleod Distillers Ltd. took over the Glengoyne Distillery, with Glengoyne Single Malt 10 to 50 years old, and the Langs Blended Whisky being the main produce.

2010 - Ian Macleod Distillers Ltd. opened Edinburgh Gin in the centre of Edinburgh, by the south side of Princes Street at Rutland Place. The Shop at the Glengoyne Distillery stocks a wide range of the Edinburgh Gin.

The Shop also stocks Whisky from the Tamdhu Distillery, a sister Distillery in Speyside by Aberlour.

  RS Home





Glengoyne-Distillery-Photos