The House of Dun is situated 4 miles west of
Montrose, 29 miles north of Dundee, 41 miles
south of Aberdeen, where there are other
attractions such as the Montrose Museum, Air
Station Museum, and Montrose Basin Wildlife
The House is normally open to visitors 30
Mar–27 Oct, Sat–Wed, 11.00–15.00 (last tour
15.00). 28 Oct–24 Nov, Sat–Sun, 11.00–15.30
(last entry 14.30). Postcode: DD10 9LQ
Click on Map for area Attractions
Camping & Touring Parks in
The image top is of the House of Dun from
the drive leading to the house.
The second image is from the car park
looking at the west side entrance where there
is a Cafe with outdoor seating.
The third image is of the garden on the
south side of the house, and fourth image is
from the garden looking at the south side.
The east side garden is the most impressive,
often used for wedding receptions.
Tours of the House lead from the old kitchen
to the living rooms and on up to the bedrooms.
This gives a good insight how wealthy families
lived in the 1700s and 1800s.
Little changed in most of these country
houses over the years, as after they were
built, specially designed furniture was crafted
for each room. Most of these houses contain the
original furniture from the time they were
House of Dun History
1375 - the Dun Estate was home to the
Erskine family with a Tower House in the centre
of the Estate.
1560s - John Erskine of Dun was
involved in the Scottish Reformation.
1732 -William Adam designed House of Dun to
replace the original Tower House.
1743 - the House as seen today was
1827 - Lady Augusta
Fitzclarence, daughter of William lV,
married John Kennedy Erskine, heir to the House
of Dun through his mother Margaret Erskine of
Augusta and John moved into the House of Dun
after their marriage, with her modernizing much
of the House.
1863 - the writer and poet Violet Jacob
was born in the house. She was a member of the
Kennedy-Erskine family, author of "Flemington"
and "Tales of Angus".
1948 - the last Laird of Dun, Mrs. Millicent
Lovett, moved out of the House. Before she
moved, she had much of the original furniture
placed in the attic.
The House of Dun was then leased to a local
farming family to serve as a Bed and
1980 - Mrs. Millicent Lovett died leaving
the House of Dun to the National Trust for
The Trust discovered all the original
furnishings in the attic. They then spent 9
years returning the House to the way it was
from the time of Augusta.
1989 - the House was opened to the