The road up from Tarbet at Loch Lomond
is one of the top roads in Scotland, passing
Arrochar village, the Rest
and be Thankful viewpoint, and Loch Fyne Oysters.
The image top is from the Bridge at the
south side of Inveraray. Inveraray Castle is to
the right in this image, with great views of
the Castle when crossing the Bridge.
The War Memorial is on vast grassland by the
centre of Town, next to Loch Fyne.
The Inveraray Inn
and Woollen Mill are the first buildings in the
Town on Front Street, with the road up to Oban
through the Arch at the Inn. The Inn is the
oldest Hotel in Inveraray, built in 1755.
The Woollen Mill was originally a
Blacksmith's from 1787, now a popular Shop for
The Information Centre is on Front Street,
at the north end of the Main Street. This
building was the Town House built in the 1750s,
serving as the original Courthouse and Prison
until the new Jail and Courthouse was built in
1820 on the Main Street.
In front of the Information Centre is
Cross, that was originally in the Old Town
of Inveraray in the 1400s. The Old Town was
close to Inveraray Castle. The Duke of Argyll
built the new Town of Inveraray so he could
demolish the Old Town in the grounds of his
The Main Street runs from the Cross up to
Inveraray Parish Church and Jail Museum. There
are a number of Shops, Hotels and Loch Fyne
Whiskies on this street.
Church was completed in 1802, now in the
middle of a roundabout.
Inveraray Jail is next to the
Church, used as a Prison and Courthouse from
1820 to 1889, now a popular Museum.
The Inveraray Bell Tower
is by the Church, easily found as it can be
seen from all over the Town. The Tower was
completed in 1931 in honour of those who fought
in World War One. The Ten Bells were Cast in
Loughborough central England. The Tower is now
one of the top attractions in the Town, with
great views from the top.
Inveraray Castle is about half of a
mile from Inveraray centre, with the entrance
to the Estate across the road from the
Inveraray Inn. The original Castle was built
from the 1400s, with the Castle seen today
built from 1743 for Archibald
Campbell, 3rd Duke of Argyll.