Keith is a Town in the Speyside area
of Scotland, 49 miles northeast of
Aviemore, 49 miles northwest of
Keith is popular for the Keith and
Dufftown Railway, Old Bridge by the
Railway, Strathisla Distillery close to
the Town centre, St Thomas Church in the
Town centre, Keith
Kilt and Textile Centre in the Town
centre on Mid Street, and a number of
Walks in the Area,
including the Speyside Way.
See also a large Click On
Map for the area Top Attractions.
Touring Parks in the area.
The image top is of Reidhaven Square at the
south side of Keith.
St Thomas Catholic
Church is by the Square, with an
interesting interior, especially the Dome.
Follow the Large Images link above for Photos.
This Church was built in the 1830s with the
Copper Dome added in 1916.
Mid Street is the narrow Main Street in the
Town, where most of the shops, cafes, and
restaurants can be found.
At the end of Mid Street is Church Road,
where you can find the War Memorial and
Also on Church Street is St Rufus Church, built in the
early 1800s to replace the Medieval Church of
A short walk downhill from St Rufus Church
is the Old Cemetery, and Old Bridge
built in 1609, claimed to be the oldest
surviving dated Bridge in Moray.
By the Old Bridge is the Keith &
Station. This line was closed to Passenger
Trains in 1968. It was re-opened in 2000 for
Heritage Trains to run in Summer between Keith
and Dufftown, 11 miles in distance.
Strathisla Distillery and St Rufus
Park are down Seafield Avenue, by St Rufus
Church. The Distillery was founded in 1786,
oldest working Distillery in North Scotland,
producing Single Malt Whisky from 8 to 65 years
This is one of a number of Single Malt
Distilleries in Speyside that ca be visited,
The Grampian Hotel is on
Regent Square, where you can find Notice Boards
giving information on Keith and the Area.
Keith Golf Club
is a short distance up Fife Street from Regent
Square, founded in 1901. The original Course
was closed during WWII to be used as Farm Land.
The new Course was opened in the 1960s.
The most notable Clan in this area was:
Ogilvie, with Gordon, Grant, and MacDuff /Duff
1100s - Old Keith evolved on the west side
of the River Isla around a Church. A Cattle
Market emerged with Highland Drovers taking
Cattle to Keith to be sold to Southern
1480 - Milton Castle was built for George
Ogilvie of Milton, where Seafield Street is
1569 - Keith Old Church was re-built.
1609 - the Old Packhorse Bridge was built
over the River Isla by the Old Church.
1746 March - a Jacobite Army won a skirmish
1746 April - the Jacobite's were defeated at
the Battle of Culloden, 52 miles west of
Keith, the final Jacobite Battle.
1755 - James Ogilvy,
6th Earl of Findlater, began the construction
of New Keith on the east side of the River,
laid out in a Grid Pattern around Reidhaven
1786 - Strathisla Distillery was built close
to the ruins of Milton Castle, producing Single
1819 - Keith Old Church was abandoned,
replaced by St Rufus Church that had been built
around that time in the New Town, just across
1823 - the Excise Act was
passed, allowing the many Illegal Distilleries
in the area to begin legal production, as long
as they paid Taxes.
Strathisla Distillery has a Visitor Centre,
the others in this area do not, such as Glen
Keith and Strathmill in Keith, and Glentauchers
4 miles west.
1800s - Keith expanded around the Whisky and
Textile industries, still known for Kilt Making today.
Today, Keith is home to the Keith Brewery,
producing a range of Beers, including some of
the strongest on the Planet, for the UK and
around the World.