This is a deep water Loch known to have been
used by Ships for many centuries when trying to
Around the Loch are the Crofting areas of
Eriboll, Laid, Heilam, Portnancon, and Rispond.
These would once have been thriving communities
before the Highland Clearances of the early
1800s. Today, they are just a few houses.
1829 - the Sutherland/Stafford family bought
most of the land in this area from the
Mackay's. They then built Roads to the area and
Piers on each side of the Loch to run the
Heilam Ferry across the Loch between Portnancon
and Ard Neackie.
The Ferry Inn was also built at this time by
the pier at Portnancon, although nothing
remains of the Inn today.
The Sutherland's cleared many Crofters from
the area to make way for large scale sheep
farming. Many moving to coastal Towns for
Fishing, to Cities, and some to the US, Canada
1870s - Limekilns were built on Ard Neackie
to make Quick Lime to be used as Mortar for
Buildings. The Lime was transported by Ship to
be used in Buildings around the UK.
1890s - the Road was completed around the
Loch, leading to the closure of the Ferry
1940s - the Royal Navy used the Loch during
World War II with the mighty Battle Cruiser HMS
Hood being based here.
1944 - Eilean Choraidh, largest Island in
the Loch, was used by British Bombers for
Target Practice before their Attack on the
mighty German Battleship Tirpitz that
was anchored in a Norwegian Fjord.
1945 - the German surrender at the end of
World War II led to their remaining 33 U-boats
being taken to Loch Eriboll.
2011 - the Loch was used for the largest War
Games ever held in the UK, involving the Navy's
assault ship HMS Bulwark,
used to land Marines on land.