Sanquhar is a Town in south Scotland, 28
miles north of Dumfries on the A76 road.
The Town is popular for its Tolbooth Museum
covering industry in the area and vast Crawick
Multiverse outdoor art work.
Click On Map
for area Attractions
Camping & Touring Parks in
Sanquhar Castle ruin is on the south side of
the Town. It was built in the 1400s for the
Crichton family. The Castle was visited by
Mary, Queen of Scots, and James VI. The 212
mile long Southern Upland Way
walking route passes right by the Castle and
St Ninian's Baptist Church is on the south
side of the Town on Castle Street.
The Post Office is in the centre of Sanquhar
on the High Street. This Post Office opened in
1712, may be the oldest working Post Office in
The Glendyne Hotel
is also in the town centre on the High Street
with rooms, a bar, and serves pub meals.
The Tolbooth completed in 1735 is at the
north end of the High Street. This building now
serves as the Sanquhar Tolbooth
Museum covering the Knitwear Trade and
Mines in the area.
The Nithsdale Hotel is
next to the Tolbooth with 12 en suite bedrooms,
dining room, bar, and large function room.
Sanquhar Park and Pond are on the north side
of the Town with play and fitness
A Curling Club was founded in Sanquhar in
1774 with sixty members, the world’s oldest
Curling Society. They played on any bodies of
water around the Town that froze in winter.
The Swimming Pool is on the north side of
the Town for Swimming, Training and Lessons.
Sanquhar Fun Pool
House Hotel is on the outskirts of the Town
to the north with rooms, restaurant, and
Club is on the northwest side of Sanquhar
with views all around. This is an 18 hole
Parkland Course that welcomes visitors.
St Brides Parish Church is on the north side
of the Town on Church Road. This Church was
completed in 1828 in Georgian Gothic Style.
The Crawick Multiverse is about one mile
north of Sanquhar. This vast outdoor Art Work
was completed in June 2015 as a Tourist
Pre History - traces of Forts can be found
in the area.
1400s - Sanquhar Castle was built for the
1568 - Mary Queen of Scots visited Sanquhar
Castle after her defeat at the Battle of
1598 - Sanquhar was made a Royal Burgh by
charter of James VI.
1617 - King James VI of Scotland I of
England visited Sanquhar Castle when traveling
between Glasgow and London.
1639 - the Crichton's moved to Ayrshire
after selling Sanquhar Castle and land to the
Earl of Queensberry from Drumlanrig
Castle 9 miles south.
The Crichton's built Dumfries House
18 miles northwest in Ayrshire that is now a
1680 - Sanquhar became a meeting place for
Covenanters that wanted Churches in Scotland to
remain free of interference form the King.
1684 - the Killing Time
began in this area after forces of King Charles
II began hunting down the Covenanters.
1700s - Sanquhar expanded around the Wool
Trade with Sanquhar Gloves being popular
through the UK.
1712 - Sanquhar Post Office opened, said to
be the oldest working Post Office in the
1735 - the Tolbooth designed by William Adam
was built with stone from Sanquhar Castle.
1774 - the world’s oldest Curling Society
was formed in Sanquhar.
1788 - the poet Robert Burns often visited
the Town when traveling between his home in
Mauchline and his new farm at Ellisland 20 miles south by
1830s - a large Carpet Factory was opened by
the Town with the Carpets sold around the
1850 - Sanquhar Railway Station opened on
the Glasgow and South-Western Railway.
1860 - the Weaving Factory was closed
leading to many Weavers moving to Cities.
1965 - Sanquhar Railway Station was
2015 - the vast Crawick Multiverse outdoor
Art Work was opened to the public. This was
built on the site of a former Open Cast Coal
Mine that closed in the 2000s?
The Town still makes Carpets.