Cullen is a Village on the Moray Coast
area of Scotland, 59 miles east of
Inverness, 6 miles east
Cullen is popular for its Beaches,
short steep walk up to Castle
Hill for views over the Village, a
Cullen to Portnockie along the scenic
coast with Bow and Fiddle Rock at
Portnockie the top sight. The return Walk
follows the Old Railway, crossing the
Viaduct, 5 miles out and back, a coastal
miles east to the ruins of Findlater
Castle, and the Old Kirk
can be found half of a mile up Old Church
Road, where Old Cullen and the Market
Cross used to be.
See also a large Click On
Map for the area Top Attractions.
Touring Parks in the area.
The Village is best known for Cullen Skink,
soup made from smoked haddock, milk, potato and
onion. The image top is looking down the Main
Street named Seafield Street, towards The
Square, Old Railway Bridge, and Harbour.
The second image is of The Square in Cullen,
with the Market Cross moved to this spot in
1872. The original Market Cross was in Old
Cullen, built in 1696. Cullen Old Church and a
Mansion House is all that remains of Old
Cullen. It is unclear how much of the Old
Market Cross was built into the new one.
The road from The Square leads downhill to
the Harbour and Beaches.
There are two small Beaches at the Harbour
that can be real busy in hot spells, with
diving off the Harbour interesting to
From the road down into the Harbour, you get
great views west over Cullen and the West
The road to the West Beach passes under the
Viaduct, completed in 1884. Trains ran on this
line from 1886 to 1968. The Old Railway is now
used as a Walking / Cycle route.
The West Beach runs towards Portnockie, 2
miles west. The Walking route here takes you
along the Beach and over Cliffs to Portnockie,
where you can view Bow and Fiddle Rock. You can
take the Old Railway path back. Walk Photos &
Cullen Links Golf
Club is situated at the West Beach, founded
962 - Cullen is first recorded in History
when King Indulf was killed
by Vikings at the mouth of the river Cullen,
referred to as the Battle of the Bauds.
1100s? - Findlater Castle was built for the
Earls of Findlater and Seafield, largest
landowners in the area. The Castle remains are
about 3 miles east of Cullen, on the coast with
a path out to the Castle and a Sandy Beach, or
you can drive round with a Car Park close to
1100s - the ancient Burgh of Cullen was
founded by King William the Lion.
Cullen grew around Farming and Fishing, with
small Fishing Boats pulled onto the Beach at
the mouth of Cullen Burn.
1236 - the first records of the Old Church
at Cullen are made.
1296 to 1328 - the First War of
Scottish Independence is fought between
Scotland and England, as the Scottish King died
without leaving an Heir, leading to the English
taking control of Scotland.
1302 - Robert the Bruce marries Elizabeth de
Burgh in the middle of the War.
1306 - Robert the Bruce and Elizabeth were
crowned as King and Queen of Scots at Scone.
Elizabeth was captured by the English soon
after, with her imprisoned in England until a
prisoner exchange in 1314.
1327 - Elizabeth died after falling from her
horse while visiting the Royal Castle at
Cullen. Her Organs may have been buried at the
Old Church in Cullen before her body was
transported south to be buried in Dunfermline Abbey.
1329 - King Robert the Bruce died, with his
body being buried next to Elizabeth in
Dunfermline Abbey. His decendants were the
Suart Kings and Queens.
1600s - the Earls of Seafield abandoned
Findlater Castle, building a Mansion House in
Old Cullen, close to the Old Church.
1787 - Robert Burns stayed overnight at
Cullen during his tour of the Highlands.
1820 - Lewis Grant-Ogilvy, 5th Earl of
Seafield, began the building of the Cullen seen
today, about half of a mile east of Old
1822 - the Old Town of Cullen was
demolished, with all that remains being the Old
Church and Cullen Mansion House. Claims are,
the Earl wanted Old Cullen demoloished as he
wanted to move the people living around his
1886 - the Railway reached Cullen with the
Viaduct completed 2 years earlier.
1880s - Fishing at Cullen increased
dramatically with Sail Fishing Boats.
1900s early - Steam Powered Fishing Boats
began entering service. As the Fishing Boats
got larger over the following years, they moved
to larger Harbour's along the coast, as Larger
Boats could only use Cullen Harbour during a
1968 - the Railway at Cullen closed, with
the Line later used as a Cycle / Walking path.
The Station ground was used to build
1983 - Cullen House was converted into 14
2018 - Cullen Hill was
cleared of Gorse and a Path made all the way to
the top for views over the Village. There was a
Castle on top of Cullen Hill, it is unclear if
this was the Royal Castle Elizabeth de Burgh
was visiting when she died.