The Dallas Dhu Distillery is situated
1 mile south of the town of Forres, 32
miles northeast of Aviemore,
27 miles east of Inverness, 80 miles
northwest of Aberdeen.
The Distillery is open for visits and
tours 1 Apr to 30 Sept: 9.30am to 5.30pm.
1 Oct to 31 Mar: 10am to 4pm, closed
Thurs and Fri in Winter. Postcode: IV36
See also a large Click On
Map for the area Towns and Top
The Image top is of the Dallas Dhu Distiller
from the Drive.
This Distillery was founded in 1898 by
Alexander Edward, a land owner with a Country
Estate by Forres.
The Distillery stopped production in 1983,
with it opened to the Public in 1988 as a
The Distillery is as it was when working,
with the Tours allowing a full guide around all
the workings from Distilling to Maturing in
Barrels to Blending.
Dallas Dhu Single
Malt can still be bought, from 22 to 50
years old, £450 to £6,700 per bottle.
2018 - the owners, Historic Environment
Scotland, invited companies to tender proposals
to turn Dallas Dhu Distillery into a Working
List of all Whisky Distillers in Scotland
that can be visited.
Dallas Dhu Distillery History
1898 - this Distillery was built for
Alexander Edward of the Sanquhar Estate, named
Dallasmore Distillery. Most of the equipment
was powered by Steam Engines and a Water
1899 - Wright & Greig Ltd took over the
company, changing the name to Dallas Dhu.
1919 - Dallas Dhu was sold to J. P. O'Brian
1921 - Dallas Dhu was sold to Benmore
Distilleries Ltd with much of the Dallas Dhu
Malt Whisky used in their Benmore Blended
1928 - Benmore's Distilleries was taken over
by the Distillers Company (DCL), with them
closing the Distillery until 1936.
1939 - Dallas Dhu was damaged by a fire.
1947 - after World War Two, the Distillery
1950s - Dallas Dhu was converted to run on
1950s / 1960s - the Distillery was expanded
with new equipment to increase production.
1968 - Dallas Dhu stopped Malting Barley as
the owners had built a large Malting Plant at
Burghead to produce Malted Barley for all their
1968 - 1969 - the Stills were replaced.
1971 - the Stills were converted from Coal
heat to Oil-Fired Steam heat.
1983 - Dallas Dhu Distillery was closed,
with reasons given as Financial and an
unreliable Water Supply, with the last barrel
filled on 16th March of that year.
1988 - Dallas Dhu Distillery was opened to
the public by Scotland's Historic Buildings and
1929 - Historic Scotland took over the
operation of running Dallas Dhu as a
2015 - Historic Scotland merged with the
Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical
Monuments of Scotland (RCAHMS), now known as
Environment Scotland, looking after many of
the top attractions in Scotland, including
Edinburgh Castle, Stirling
Castle, and the Wallace
2018 - Dallas Dhu Distillery was offered on
the market to companies interested in producing
Whisky from the Distillery once again.