Dunkeld Cathedral is situated in the
Town of Dunkeld, 14 miles northwest of
Perth, just off the main A9
The earliest parts of the Cathedral
seen today are from 1318.
The Cathedral can be visited Free of
charge April to September 10.00am to
5.30pm / October to March 10.00am to
4.00pm. Postcode: PH8 0AW
See also a large Click On
Map for Top Attractions in the area.
The Image top is from the entrance to the
Cathedral, found by going to The Cross in
Dunkeld centre with the Atholl Fountain, then
walking up Cathedral Street.
The second image shows the Cathedral Gardens
with views over the River Tay, a real scenic
The third image shows the Cathedral south
side with restoration work being carried out on
the ruins of the Chapter House next to the
Tower. The Choir on the right side is now used
as a Church of Scotland with a small Museum
covering the history of the Cathedral and
Dunkeld Cathedral History
Pre 500s - tribal Picts were in control of
the area with little known about their
500s - a small Monastery was built on this
site at Dunkeld after Columba visited the
800s - a more substantial Monastery of
reddish sandstone was built.
800s - Viking raids in the northwest of
Scotland led to Relics of St Columba being
brought to Dunkeld Cathedral for safe keeping.
This led to Dunkeld becoming the top place of
worship in Scotland.
900s - the Relics of St Columba were moved
to St Andrews, leading to St
Andrews Cathedral becoming the top place of
worship in Scotland.
1045 - Abbot Crinan of Dunkeld led a
rebellion against King Macbeth, in an attempt
to have his 14 year old grandson Malcolm
proclaimed King. Crinan was killed in battle at
Dunkeld. His grandson became King Malcolm III
Macbeth is the King in the William
Shakespeare play Macbeth, set around
1300s early - the Choir of Dunkeld Cathedral
was completed using some of the reddish
sandstone from the earlier Monastery for Bishop
1405? - Alexander
Stewart is laid to rest in a Tomb in
Dunkeld Cathedral. Stewart was known as the
Wolf of Badenoch, after destroying the town of
Forres, Pluscarden Abbey, and Elgin Cathedral
1400s middle - the Chapter House, Tower, and
South Porch were completed for Bishop Thomas
1560 - Dunkeld Cathedral was extensively
damaged during the Reformation, as Scotland converted
from Catholic to Protestant.
1600 - the Choir was re-roofed to be used as
a Protestant Parish Church.
1689 - the Battle of Dunkeld took place at
the Cathedral. The Catholic King James had been
overthrown by his Protestant daughter Mary and
her husband William of Orange, leading to
Jacobite's trying to have James
returned to the throne. The Jacobite's were
defeated in this battle, leading to King James
living in exile in France.
1908 - the Choir was altered to its present
1920s - the Choir became a Church of
Scotland with the Tower and Naive taken into
Dunkeld Cathedral is still used as the
town's Church of Scotland parish church, with
the congregation using the smaller Little
Dunkeld Church in winter.
The small Chapter House Museum has a
collection of relics from medieval times. It
also covers the history of Dunkeld.