Eyemouth is a town in southeast
Scotland, 51 miles southeast of Edinburgh, 24 miles south of
Dunbar, 9 miles north of
Berwick, 2 miles east off the main A1
Eyemouth is popular for its Memorials
to the Fishermen lost in the 1818 storm,
about Fishing and Local Heritage, Beach,
House with a Museum about Smugglers,
Trips, and Walking
Route south to Berwick.
Large Click On Map for the area Top
Touring Parks in the area.
The image top is of the 1818 Storm Memorial
in the centre of Eymouth at the High Street.
The storm began when most fishing boats were
out at sea, causing the deaths of 189 fishermen
from the area, with 129 from Eyemouth.
The second image is looking down the High
The Statue of Willie Spears is on the High
Street. Willie led a revolt against crippling
taxes the fishermen were forced to pay to the
Church. Willie died 10th August 1885.
The Eyemouth Museum is along from the Willie
Spears Statue on Manse Road. It covers the
Fishing History of the town and Local
The 1818 Storm Memorial is on the Esplanade
by the Beach. This Memorial is known as the
Women And Bairns Memorial, dedicated to the 189
men lost at sea in a single day, leaving 78
widows and 182 children without a father.
Gunsgreen House is on the south side of the
Harbour, once the home of local Smuggler John
Nisbet. The house now serves as a Smugglers
1200s? - the harbour at Eyemouth was first
used for fishing.
The town's name is from its location at the
mouth of the river Eye Water.
1547 - Fort Point,
Eyemouth, was built on the headland at
Eyemouth. The Fort was used during wars between
England, Scotland, and France, with Scotland
and France often joining forces to fight
1559 - Fort Point was demolished under the
Cateau-Cambresis, a Treaty that tried to
put an end to wars throughout Europe.
1753 - Gunsgreen House was built on the
south side of the Harbour for a local smuggler
John Nisbet, now a museum about smuggling Tea
Smuggling was prolific in towns around the
coast of Scotland from the mid 1600s to 1800s,
to avoid paying taxes on goods, especially
Whisky and Tea.
1811 - Eyemouth Parish Church was built.
1812 - 1885 - William Spears was a local
fisherman that led a revolt against taxes on
fish by the Church of Scotland.
1881 - the Eyemouth Disaster happened after
most of the fishing fleet, around 20 boats and
129 men from Eyemouth, were lost in a violent
1894 - Eyemouth Golf Club was founded.
1965 - Eyemouth's harbour was rebuilt with a
fish market and business to repair and build
boats up to 200 tonnes.
1980 - Eyemouth Parish Church was converted
to serve as the Eyemouth Museum giving
information and Fishing and Local Heritage.