logo

Glasgow Churches

Glasgow Home Page


A list of Glasgow Churches in and around the city centre with some large images.

Many churches are now used for other purposes. George Square is the centre of Glasgow with Queen Street train station next to the square, and Central Train Station about 300 yards southwest. Directions on this page will be from George Square. Change the Maps to Walking for more direct routes. Visiting these churches makes a good days walk around the city, with many bar diners, cafes, and restaurants all around. The church up on Royston Hill, and Govan Old Church, are normally missed on walks as they are a bit out of the way. The interiors are extremely interesting, if open when you visit.

St George's Tron Church Glasgow image

St George's Tron Church is situated on Buchanan Street, about 200 yards west of George Square's northwest corner. This building was completed in 1808, as St. George's Parish Church, to designs of the architect William Stark. This building is now a Church of Scotland Parish church. St George's is the most central church in Glasgow. Wiki Page . Map G1 2JX.

Ramshorn Kirk Glasgow image

The Ramshorn Kirk is situated on Ingram Street, about 200 yards southeast of George Square. This building was completed in 1824 to designs of the architect Thomas Rickman. The church has been operated as the Ramshorn Theatre, since being taken over by the University of Strathclyde in 1992. Map G1 1ES.

Barony Church Glasgow image

Barony Parish Church is situated on Castle Street, close to Glasgow Cathedral, about half of a mile northeast of George Square. This church was completed in 1889 to designs of Sir John James Burnet. Barony Parish Church is now owned by the University of Strathclyde, it is only used for functions such as wedding receptions under the name Barony Hall. .Website. Map G4 0QS.

Glasgow Evangelical Church image

Glasgow Evangelical Church is situated on Cathedral Square, about half of a mile northwest of George Square. This church was completed in 1878 to designs of the architect John Honeyman. Services are Sunday mornings at 11.00. Website. Map G4 0XA.

Glasgow Cathedral image

Glasgow Cathedral, as seen from the Necropolis, is situated on Cathedral Square, about half of a mile northwest of George Square. This church was built from the 1100swith a 220ft spire. Glasgow Cathedral was converted to a Church of Scotland after the reformation of the 1560s. This vast church is still used for services, and is now one of the top visitor attractions in Glasgow. RSS Page . Map G4 0QZ . Large Interior Image.

Townhead-Blockairn Church Glasgow image

Townhead-Blockairn Church is situated on Royston Hill, about 1 and a half miles northeast of George Square. This church was completed in 1885 to designs of the architects Campbell Douglas & Stevenson. At 252ft high, and sitting on Royston Hill that is about 255 ft above sea level, this church spire is the most prominent in the city. The church was demolished in the 1990s, the spire has been preserved. From Glasgow Cathedral, walk up Wishart Street and cross the M8 footbridge. Old Images . Website . Map G21 2JF . Large Image .

Tron Old Church Glasgow image

The Tron Old Church, built as the Collegiate Church of St Mary and St Ann, is situated about half of a mile southeast of George Square, or about half of a mile south of Glasgow Cathedral, down the High Street. The tower of the church was completed in about 1593. The building is now used as the Tron Theatre with a cafe/restaurant that is open most of the time. Map G1 5HB.

St Andrew's Church Glasgow image

St Andrew's Church is situated just over half of a mile southeast of George Square, about 300 yards southeast of the Tron Old Church. The church is situated in the scenic St Andrew's Square. It was completed in 1756 to designs of the Architect Allan Dreghorn. This building is now used for private functions such as weddings and family party's. Cafe Source is a cafe/bar within this former church, open every day. Website . Wiki Page. Map G1 5PP.

St Andrew's Cathedral Glasgow image

St Andrew's Cathedral is situated about half of a mile south of George Square, by the River Clyde. This is a Roman Catholic Cathedral built to designs of James Gillespie Graham in 1814. St Andrew's was built as the new cathedral in Glasgow, as Glasgow Cathedral was converted to a Church of Scotland during the reformation in the 1560s. RSS Page . St Andrew's Website . Map . Large Interior Image .

Glasgow Free Church image

Glasgow City Free Church is situated on St Vincent Street, a few hundred yards west of George Square. This Church of Scotland was original built in 1859 as the St Vincent Street Church, to designs of Alexander (Greek) Thomson. The name was change to Glasgow City Free Church in 2009. Website . G2 7LQ.

St Columba Church of Scotland Glasgow image

St Columba Church of Scotland Glasgow is situated on St Vincent Street, a few hundred yards west of George Square. This church was completed in 1904 to designs of the architects Tennant and Burke, with a 200ft spire. It was built for the large number of Gaelic speaking people from the Highlands and Islands, that moved to Glasgow in search of work during the Highland Clearances. Wiki Page . Map G2 5RU . Large Image .

Baptist Church Glasgow image

Adelaide Place Baptist Church is situated on the west side of Bath Street, a few hundred yards north west of George Square. This church was completed in 1877 to designs of the architect T L Watson. Worship every Sunday at 11.00am. The church is also now used as a Guest House, Auditorium, and a Nursery. Church Website. Business Website. Map G2 4HZ.

Church of Scotland Presbytery of Glasgow image

The Church of Scotland Presbytery of Glasgow, or Renfield St Stephen's, is situated on Bath Street, a few hundred yards northwest of George Square. This church was completed in 1852 to designs of the London architect J T Emmett. The church is still used for Sunday services, and through the week, as a conference centre with a cafe. This is claimed to be the tallest church spire in Glasgow. Church Website . Business Website . Map G2 4JP . Large Image .

St Aloysius Church Glasgow image

St Aloysius Church, Roman Catholic Parish church, is situated in Rose Street, a few hundred yards northwest of George Square. This church was completed in 1910 to designs of the Belgian architect Charles Jean Menart. The church has connections to St Aloysius' College, in the buildings on the left in the image above. Website . Wiki Page . Map G3 6RE.

St Patricks Church Glasgow image

St Patrick's Church is a Roman Catholic Church situated on William Street, 1 mile west of George Square, just over the M8 Motorway, in the Anderston area of Glasgow. This church was completed in 1898 to designs of the architect Messrs Pugin of London. It is one of only a few old buildings left in the Anderston area. Website . Interior Images . Map G3 8UR.

Govan Old Church image

Govan Old Church is situated about 3 miles southwest of George Square. This church was completed in 1888 to designs of the architect Sir Robert Rowand Anderson. Worship takes place: Monday to Friday, at 10am, for about 15 mins. The Historic Govan Stones, in the church, attract many visitors. RSS Page. Map G51 3UU.

The building of the wealthy West End in Glasgow from the mid 1800s, led to other large churches being built in the West End such as St Mary's Cathedral on Great Western Road with a 206ft spire, the Lansdowne Parish Church on Great Western Road with a 218ft spire, and the Kelvinside Parish Church on Byres Road, now a bar diner and entertainment venue named Oran Mor.

Other Churches in the West End: Wiki Page.

For a list of the top Attraction around Glasgow, visit the Attractions Page or the Glasgow Home Page .