logo
Glasgow River Walk skyline image

Glasgow River Walk

Glasgow Home Page


A photo guide to the Glasgow River Walk from Glasgow Green in the east to the Transport Museum in the west of the River Clyde.

The Glasgow River Walk is from the Kings Bridge at Glasgow Green, just over 1 mile east of Glasgow centre, to the Transport Museum, about 2 miles west of Glasgow centre. You can walk all the way on the north side, and much of the way on the south side. Part of the south side between the Tradeston Squiggly Footbridge, and the Clyde Ark, has been closed off, so it is best to walk on the north side there. Some of the Road Bridges here, when they were built, were the widest bridges in any UK cities.

The Kings Bridge Glasgow

The Kings Bridge is situated at the east side of Glasgow Green, just over 1 miles east of Glasgow centre. This bridge was built in 1933 by the Engineer TPM Somers. This view shows the bridge has four equal flat spans. Map.

Kings Bridge Glasgow image

The image above is looking south across the Kings Bridge, down Ballater Street, showing the bridge is really wide with four lanes, two lanes going each way. The building with the high chimney across the river here, is Ballantines Whisky Distillery.

St Andrews Suspension Bridge Glasgow image

The image above is from the just west of the Kings Bridge, looking west to the St Andrew's Suspension Bridge, built in 1856 by the Engineer Neil Robson. This is a wrought iron and cast iron foot bridge, built to replace a small river crossing ferry. Map.

St Andrews Suspension Bridge Glasgow Green image

The image above is of the St Andrew's Suspension Bridge, looking south. You can normally view rowing boats from this bridge, as there are two rowing clubs situated in this area.

Peoples Palace Glasgow image

The Peoples Palace museum is next to the St Andrew's Suspension Bridge. This building was completed in 1898. The museum tells the story of the people, and city of Glasgow, from 1750 to the end of the 20th century. The view from the top floor, looking out over the glasshouse is fantastic. Map G40 1AT. RSS Information Page.

Nelsons Column Glasgow image

Next to the People's Palace, is the 143 ft high Nelson's Column, built in 1806, the year after Nelson's death. If you turn left at Nelson's Column, you go back to the riverside walk, where there are two rowing clubs, well worth viewing.

Tidal Weir Glasgow image

The image above is of the Pipe Bridge and Tidal Weir, built in 1901. This weir has salt water on the west side, and fresh water on the east side. There are two rowing clubs on the east side of the weir, that are busy on weekends.

Albert Bridge Glasgow image

The image above is of the Albert Bridge, built in 1871 by the Engineer Bell & Miller. This is a cast iron and wrought iron bridge. The bridge is situated at the west end of Glasgow Green, linking the Gorbals area on the south side, and the Saltmarket area on the north side. Map.

Albert Bridge Glasgow view north image

The image above is looking north over the Albert Bridge to the Saltmarket, and beyond that, the High Street. The large building on the left, just over the bridge, is the old High Court building. This is another really wide bridge with four lanes, and two wide footpaths.

McLennan Arch Glasgow Green image

The McLennan Arch is situated at the west end of Glasgow Green, by the Albert Bridge. This arch was originally built in 1796, as part of the Assembly Rooms on Ingram Street, designed by Robert and James Adam. That building was demolished in 1892. The Arch was preserved and erected here in 1922. Map G1 5JT.

High Court of Justice Glasgow image

The image above is of the old High Court of Justice building, situated on the north side of the Albert Bridge, on the Saltmarket, across the road from the McLennen Arch. This building was completed in 1811, the year after the death of its architect, William Stark. The area here was once referred to as Jail Square. Map G1 5JT.

Victoria Bridge Glasgow image

The image above is of the Victoria Bridge, a few hundred yards west of the Albert Bridge, and the old City Union Railway Bridge from 1899. This bridge was completed in 1854 by the Engineer James Walker. This was one of the widest bridges in the UK at that time. Map G1 4SP.

Victoria Bridge Glasgow view north image

The image above is looking north over the Victoria Bridge, from Gorbals Street to Stockwell Street. Just across the bridge, on the right, is a Clock Tower with no name that I can find so far.

South Portland Street Suspension Bridge image

The view below is from the Victoria Bridge, looking west to the South Portland Street Suspension Bridge, and St Andrew's Cathedral on the right. Map. Large Image.

St Andrews Cathedral Glasgow image

St Andrew's Cathedral was built about 1814 by the architect James Gillespie Graham. This is the true cathedral in Glasgow now, as Glasgow Cathedral was only a cathedral in the 1600s, it is now a Church of Scotland. You can visit St Andrews most days to view its interesting interior. Map G1 4ER. RSS Information Page.

South Portland Street Suspension Bridge view north image

The image above is from the South Portland Street Suspension Bridge, looking north to Glasgow centre. This bridge was built in 1853 by the Engineer George Martin. There is an information board at this bridge, and some others, giving information about the bridges along the River Clyde. Map.

Glasgow Bridge image

The image above is of Glasgow Bridge, a few hundred yards west of the South Portland Bridge, looking northwest. This bridge was completed in 1899 by the Engineer Blyth & Westland. Glasgow Bridge is at times named Jamaica Bridge. Glasgow Bridge is mainly local sand stone. Map G1 4NP.

Glasgow Bridge view north image

The image above is of Glasgow Bridge, looking north to Jamaica Street, and beyond that, Union Street. The large rail bridges on the left here, run into Central Train Station. Those bridges were built in 1878 and 1905. This bridge is four lanes in a one way system, all running south.

King George V Bridge Glasgow image

The image above is looking north across the George V Bridge, to Oswald Street in Glasgow centre. This bridge was built in 1928 by Considere Construction Ltd, with Granite masonry over reinforced concrete box girders. The vast rail bridges running into Glasgow Central, are on the right here. The four lanes all run north. Large Side Image. Map.

Tradeston Footbridge Glasgow image

The image above is from the King George V Bridge, looking west to the Tradeston Footbridge. The bridge connects the International Financial Services District on the north side, to the Tradeston district on the south side. You can walk down either side here, but only on the north side after the Tradeston Footbridge.

Tradeston Footbridge view south image

The image above is looking south over the Tradeston Footbridge, also known as the Squiggly Bridge. This bridge was built in 2009 by the Engineer Halcrow. The Tradestone area has a vast amount of new buildings, such as a casino, restaurants, hotels, and dwelling flats, many with river views. Map.

Kingston Bridge Glasgow image

The image above is from the Tradeston Bridge, west to the Kingston M8 motorway bridge. This bridge was completed in 1970 by W A Fairhurst & Partners. The Kingston is claimed to be the largest and busiest city road bridge in the UK. The bridge had to be strengthened in the 1990s, a ten year project while the bridge was still being used.

Kingston Bridge Galsgow Painting image

The image above is of the north side of the Kingston Bridge, where there is a large painting. The painting was completed in 2009 by the Australian artist, Sam Bates. This artist painted a number of paintings around Glasgow and at the Renfrew Ferry. Map.

Clyde Ark Glasgow image

The image above is of the Clyde Ark bridge, a few hundred yards west of the Kingston Bridge. This bridge was completed in 2006 to designs of the Halcrow Group. The ark is sometimes referred to as the Squinty Bridge. It connects the Govan area in the south, to the Finnieston area in the north. The bridge was needed to reduce traffic on the Kingston Bridge. Map. Large Image.

Finnieston Crane Glasgow image

The image above is from the Clyde Arc, west to the Hilton Garden Inn, Finnieston Crane, and the SECC. The 165ft high crane was completed in 1932. The crane was used for lifting heavy machinery onto ships, such as steam trains for export. The crane has been retained as a landmark since being un-used from the 1990s. The Inn here has a riverside terrace, popular with walkers for coffee or dinks and meals. Map . Wiki Page.

SECC Glasgow image

The image above is where the north side path passes on the left side of the SEC events centre, or Armadillo. The path also passes the high class covered Crowne Plaza Hotel. The large Hydro events venue, completed in 2013, is situated just to the right in this image. There is also a round building here with Italian, Japanese, Chinese, and Thai resaturants. Map . SEC Wiki Page.

Bells Bridge Glasgow image

The image above is from Bell's Bridge, looking north to the SEC. This footbridge was completed in 1988 by the Engineers Crough & Hogg. The bridge can rotate to allow large vessels up-river. This bridge was built for the Glasgow Garden Festival in 1988, to link the Garden Festival on the south side, to the SECC on the north side of the river. Map.

Millennium Bridge Glasgow image

The image above is from the path as it passes the Crowne Plaza Hotel, looking west to the Millennium Bridge. This bridge was completed in 2002 by the Engineer M G Bennett. The Millennium Bridge is a footbridge that connects to the Glasgow Science Centre. Map.

Millennium Bridge Glasgow view west image

The image above is from the Millennium Bridge, looking to the Riverside Museum of Transport, just under 1 mile west. That is the Waverley paddle steamer docked here. The centre of the Millennium Bridge can be raised to allow large vessels up-river. This is the last bridge on the west side of the River Clyde, not counting the Clyde Tunnel 2 miles west, and the huge Erskine Bridge 7 miles west. Map.

Glasgow Police Helicopter Base image

The image above is from about 100 yards south of the Millennium Bridge, on the north side of the river, where the Glasgow Police Helicopter Base used to be situated. There is now a Whisky Distillery here with a visitor centre. The path is just under 1 mile from here, west to the Riverside Museum of Transport and Tall Ship museum, as can be seen in the distance. Map .

Riverside Museum of Transport Glasgow image

The image left is of the Riverside Museum of Transport. This is a great free attraction, showing modes of travel throughout the 1800s and 1900s, one of Glasgow's top visitor attractions. There is also the Tall Ship museum here that has to be visited, also free of charge. Map G3 8RS . RSS Page.

For a list of the top Attraction around Glasgow, visit the Attractions Page or the Glasgow Home Page .