Montrose is a town on the northeast
coast of Scotland, 29 miles north of of
Dundee, 40 miles south of
Montrose is popular for its Harbour
Statues, Beach, Golf Courses, House of
Dun Mansion, Montrose Basin Nature
Reserve, Montrose Air Station
Centre, and Coastal Walk.
See also a large Click On
Map for the area Top Attractions.
The image top is of Montrose Church at the
south side of Arbroath High Street.
The image second top is of the wide High
Street with a good selection of shops and
The War Memorial is just east of the High
Street at Melville Gardens where there is a
kids play and bowling green.
Royal Montrose Golf
Club is by the road to the Beach. This is
one of the top golf clubs in the area.
Montrose Links is two
golf courses next to Royal Montrose that are
less expensive to play.
The Kids Play is by the Beach with a Cafe
and seating area high above the beach.
The wide sandy beach at Montrose stretchers
for miles north. There is a popular walk along
the beach and back on an inland path. Walk Page.
The Harbour at Arbroath has a few statues
and information on Lifeboats and Montrose
during the World Wars.
Bamse was a St.
Bernard on board one of the Norwegian Naval
vessels that steamed to the UK after the German
invasion of Norway during the Second World War.
Bamse was much loved by the Norwegian sailors
and the Montrose people. He died at Montrose
harbour in 1944. The bronze statue of Bamse was
unveiled by Prince Andrew at Montrose Harbour
The House of Dun
mansion is situated 4 miles west of Montrose.
The gardens and estate are open all year free
of charge. Tours of the house are available
from March to October with a fee. The Mansion
was completed in 1743 to designs of William
Adam for David Erskine, Lord Dun.
Prehistoric artifacts have been found in the
area of Montrose, including the Stone of
Morphie 5 miles north, postcode/map
900s - Montrose was attacked by Danes on a
number of occasions.
1140s - Montrose was created a Royal Burgh
by King David I, becoming a busy trading town
with skins, hides, and cured salmon.
1140s? - Montrose Castle was built in the
Town at the south end of the High Street on
1153 - Restenneth
Priory was built for King Malcolm IV 15
miles west of Montrose by Forfar.
1178 - King William the Lion had a Castle
built 4 miles south of Montrose. The ruins are
now referred to as Red Castle.
1244 - Montrose was extensively damaged by
1296 - during the First Wars of Scottish
Independence, King Edward I of England visited
Montrose with 30,000 troops. The King stayed at
Montrose Castle for three nights.
1297 - forces of William Wallace severely
damage Montrose Castle and slew most of the
English troops based there.
1370s - Erskine's build a Tower House on Dun
Estate 4 miles west of Montrose known as Dun
1488 - Montrose Castle is in ruin, nothing
1600s - the Port was used to export wheat
and barley to Germany. The Port was also used
to imported flax and timber from the Baltic Sea
area, and salt, fruit and wine from France,
Spain and Portugal.
1716 - the Jacobite James Francis Edward
Stuart spent his last night in Scotland at
Montrose before sailing to exile in France,
ending the First Jacobite
1720 - Dun Castle was demolished.
1743 - The House of Dun Mansion was
completed to replace Dun Castle for David
Erskine, Lord Dun.
1746 - forces of Charles Edward Stuart
(Bonnie Prince Charlie), during the Second Jacobite
Rebellion, fought the largest naval battle
of the war at Montrose Harbour.
1700s - Montrose was well know for smuggling
goods so as to avoid paying taxes. The wealth
acquired by trade through the Port was
substantial, leading to many Merchants building
houses on streets named after trading areas
such as America Street, California Street,
Baltic Street, and India Street.
1910s - the Royal Flying Corps opened a base
at Montrose, later known as RAF
1913 - the Airbase at Montrose became the
first operational military airbase in the
1940s - during World War II, pilots from all
over the Commonwealth were based at Montrose
for training on Hawker Hurricane and Spitfire
aircraft. They also formed squadrons for
sorties over Norway and to provide air defense
for the east coast of Scotland and city of
German aircraft bombed the town and airfield
killing 5 servicemen in one attack in 1940.
The Montrose Basin is a shallow estuary
about three miles in diameter. It is situated
at the south side of the town where the River
South Esk runs into the North Sea.
1981 - the Montrose Basin Nature Reserve
was created with the Scottish Wildlife Trust
operating a modern wildlife centre. Map
The Centre has telescopic and television
views of the thousands of birds that use the
area throughout the year.
1989 - The House of Dun mansion was opened
to the public as a museum. Map DD10 9LQ
1992 - the Montrose Air Station Heritage Centre opened as a
museum on the north side of Montrose centre.
Map DD10 9BD