Aberlour is a Town in the Speyside
area of the Highlands in Scotland, 36
miles northeast of Aviemore,
57 miles northwest of Aberdeen.
Aberlour is popular for the Aberlour Distillery visits,
Shortbread Factory with a Shop, the
Speyside Cooperage with a
Visitor Centre 2 miles northeast, and a
number of Walks in the Area,
including the Speyside Way.
See also a large Click On
Map for the area Top Attractions.
Touring Parks in the area.
The image top is of the Aberlour Single Malt
Whisky Distillery at the southwest
entrance to Aberlour. This Distillery was built
in 1879 for James Fleming, now with a Shop and
Tours can be taken.
The second image is of the Old Parish
Church, across the road from the Distillery.
The date when this Church was built is unknown,
1700s or before.
A few hundred yards north of the Distillery
is Aberlour centre with a Square.
Aberlour Parish Church is at the the Square,
built in 1812 to replace the Old Parish
In front of the Parish Church is the
Aberlour War Memorial, erected in 1921,
designed to look like an ancient Market
The Mash Tun is a popular
Bar Diner down past the Church.
The Kids Play and large Park are next to the
Mash Tun. There is also a Suspension Bridge
across the River Spey for Walks.
Overlooking the Park is the Old Railway
Station, now used as the Speyside Way
Visitor Centre and Cafe. This Station opened in
1863, closing after the last Train on this line
ran in 1971.
Shortbread is at the north end of Aberlour,
with a Shop selling all their produce.
The Speyside Cooperage is situated about
2 miles northeast, a Top Attraction in the area
showing how Barrels are built for the many
Whisky Distilleries in the area.
There are also 3 other Distilleries close by
that can be visited, Macallan, Glenfiddich, and Glen
Grant, with many more in the area. Distillery
900s - a settlement evolved in the area of
the Old Parish Church, on the southwest end of
Aberlour today, across the road from the
Aberlour Distillery, with the first place of
worship dedicated to St Drostan.
1600s - an old Packhorse Bridge was built
over the Lour Burn at the Old Church.
1745 - the Jacobite's crossed the River Spey
at Aberlour on their way to Culloden.
1812 - the earliest parts of the Town seen
today, were built for Charles Grant of Wester
Elchies Estate, as Charlestown of Aberlour. The
Town is now known as just Aberlour.
1814 - the Town was granted its Feu Charter,
allowing Markets to be held. Illegal Whisky
Distilling was prominent in the area at that
1814 - the Craigellachie Bridge was
completed over the River Spey 2 miles north of
Aberlour, a Cast Iron Bridge designed by Thomas
1823 - the Excise Act was
passed, allowing many of the Distilleries to
begin legal production, as long as they paid
Taxes. The ones that refused to pay Taxes, were
hunted down by Excise Men.
The Aberlour Distillery began operating in
1879, Macallan 3 miles north in 1824, Glen
Grant 5 miles north in 1840, and Glenfiddich 4
miles northeast in 1886.
Other Distilleries in the area without
Visitor Centre's are: Balvenie, Dalmunach,
Dewars, Dufftown, Glenrothes, Glendullan, Glen
Spey, Kininvie, and Mortlach.
1858 - Aberlour House
was built for Alexander Grant, who made his
fortune through Slaves and Plantations.
1863 - the Railway reached Aberlour, running
between Boat of Garten and Dufftown,
calling at Nethy Bridge, Broomhill, Grantown on
Spey, Ballindalloch, Aberlour, and
1875 - Aberlour Orphanage was founded by
Margaret Macpherson Grant, and the Minister
Charles Jupp. Margaret had inherited Aberlour
The Orphanage Tower can be viewed at Tower
Place by the High School, with Information and
a Statue of a girl.
1898 - Walkers
Shortbread began being made here by the 21
year old Joseph Walker, soon becoming popular
around the world.
1905 - Aberlour Golf Club opened, closing in
the late 1930s.
1940s - Aberlour House was used by the
Military during World War Two.
1947 - Aberlour House was converted to serve
as the Aberlour House School, a preparatory
School for Gordonstoun, 20
miles north, where Prince Charles was educated,
claimed to be like a Punnishment Camp for Rich
Kids, founded by the German named Kurt
1971 - the last Train ran on the 30 mile
long Line between Boat of Garten and
Craigellachie. Some of the Stations are now
used for Tourist related Attractions.
1972 - the Craigellachie Bridge was closed
to Traffic after a new Bridge was completed 100
yards east. The Old Bridge is now used for
Walking and Biking.
2004 - Walkers Shortbread took over Aberlour
House to serve as their Offices.