Much of the early Whisky was matured in
ex-Sherry Barrels, later changed to ex-Bourbon
1858 - the Grant's paid to have the Railway
extended to Rothes, so they could transport
more of their Whisky around the country, and
increase exports to countries around the
House was built around this time, with the
land around the House and Distillery laid out
with Paths, Bushes, Trees, and Apple Trees.
Glen Grant House was demolished in 1994, but
the Gardens are still maintained to the highest
standard, open to people visiting the
1872 - John's son, also John, known as The
Major, took over the running of the business,
increasing production from 2 to 4 Stills.
1886 - William Grant opened the Glenfiddich Distillery in Dufftown 7
miles south, it is unclear if these two famous
Grant families were related.
1952 - George Mackessack, The Major’s
grandson, merged Glen Grant with The Glenlivet
Distillery 17 miles southwest.
1978 - Seagram took over these companies,
ending the Grant family involvement.
1983 - the old Stillhouse was replaced by a
new Stillhouse with 8 Stills.
2001 - Pernod Ricard took over Seagram’s
2006 - Glen Grant was sold to Gruppo
Today - Glen Grant is run by master
distiller Dennis Malcolm, born at the
distillery in 1946, with him working there from
Glen Grant is one of the most famous Single
Malt Distillers in Scotland.