At the northeast end of Rothes is the
entrance to Glen Grant Estate, where you can
visit the Glen Grant Whisky Distillery.
This Distillery was founded in 1840, producing
10 to 75 year old Single Malt Whisky. There are
also scenic Estate Gardens that you can walk
The Speyside Cooperage is about 4 miles
south, a Top Attraction showing how Barrels are
built for the many Whisky Distilleries in the
There are also 3 other Distilleries within a
few miles that can be visited, Macallan, Aberlour, and Glenfiddich, with many more in the
Speyside area. Distillery List.
The most notable Clans in this area were:
Gordon, Grant, Leslie, MacDuff /Duff, Pollok,
600s - the area of Rothes had a Chapel on
Chapel Hill, built by Missionaries.
1200s - Rothes Castle was built for Peter de
Pollok to control the area, with a Village
growing around the Castle.
1296 - during the Scottish Wars of
Independence, King Edward I of England visited
Rothes Castle after he had taken control of
1390s - Rothes Castle was acquired by the
Leslie Clan, that became the Earls of
1662 - Rothes Castle was abandoned, with
much of its stone used for buildings in
1700s - the Earls of Rothes sold their
Estates in this area to the Seafield family.
The Rothes family then moved to Fife where they
began building the Town of Glenrothes.
1766 - the Seafield's began designing a new
Town, leading to the Rothes seen today.
1781 - Rothes Parish Church was built.
1823 - the Excise Act was
passed, allowing the many Illegal Distilleries
in the area to begin legal production, as long
as they paid Taxes. Macallan Distillery began
operating in 1824, Glen Grant in 1840, Aberlour
in 1879, and Glenfiddich in 1886. There are
many more around Rothes, but these are the
biggest names with Visitor Centre's.
Other Distilleries without Visitor Centre's
are: Balvenie, Dalmunach, Dewars, Dufftown,
Glenrothes, Glendullan, Glen Spey, Kininvie,
1858 - Rothes Railway Station opened as part
of the Morayshire
Line, partially funded by the Whisky
companies. This line connected to other lines,
allowing Train travel to and from anywhere in
the UK. The Line ended 16 miles north at
Lossiemouth on the coast, with its
Harbour used by Whisky Distilleries in Speyside
to import Barrels, and export Whisky. Most
Speyside Distillers mature their Whisky in ex
European Sherry, or US Bourbon Barrels.
1870 - the Steeple was added to Rothes
Parish Church, with the Clock in the Steeple
being an old Town Clock of Nairn.
1890s - Forsyths began manufacturing Copper
Stills for the Whisky Companies.
1898 - the Town Hall was built.
1890 - Rothes Golf Club was founded.
1968 - Rothes Railway Station was