The image top is of the vast Aboyne Green,
or Charlestown Green, with the Aboyne Parish
Church right and Village centre left of the
Church. The Aboyne Highland Games are held here
in late July or early August.
Aboyne centre has a number of Local Shops
and the Huntly Arms
Hotel, built from 1770 with Queen Victoria
often using the Hotel on her way to Balmoral
Castle 18 miles west.
In front of the Hotel, at the entrance to
Aboyne Green, is the Jubilee Fountain erected
by Locals in commemoration of the Diamond
Jubilee of Queen Victoria 1897, and Coronation
of King Edward VII 1902.
Station is a short walk east of the Village
centre, opened in 1859, closed in 1966, now
housing a number of Shops. There used to be Old
Railway Carriages here, used for inexpensive
accommodation for Tourists, also, a short Line
to Aboyne Curling Pond Railway Station, for
people Curling on the Loch of
The old Railway Line is now part of the
Deeside Way footpath
that runs 40 miles between Aberdeen and
The Bowling and Tennis are
situated across the road from Aboyne centre,
with Tennis Court hire available for a small
Aboyne Castle is situated about 1 mile north
of the Village centre, with the best way to
walk round the Estate by parking at the
Cemetery on Aboyne Stone Circle Road, or walk
from the Village centre. Castle and Stone Circle
was built from the 1200s for the Bysets, Lords
of Strathdee and Aboyne. This early Wooden
Castle was replaced by the Stone Castle seen
today from the 1670s. The Castle has been owned
by the Knights Templar, Clan Fraser, Clan
Keith, and now Clan Gordon.
The Coo Cathedral
is by the Castle, built in 1889 for William
Cunliffe Brooks to house prize Bulls and Cows,
now converted for Weddings and Events. Brooks
had bought the neighbouring Glen Tanar
Estate, with his Daughter marrying Charles Gordon,
Earl of Aboyne.
The Castle is private, and there are houses
being built on the Estate, but many people use
the Estate to visit the Stone Circle, Walking,
Jogging, and Cycling.
Aboyne Bridge is on the west side of the
Village, crossing the River Dee. The first
Bridge from 1828 collapsed the following year.
A Suspension Bridge was completed in 1829, with
that collapsing in 1859. The third Bridge was
completed in 1871, with that Bridge being
replaced in 1930 by the Bridge seen today.
The Boat Inn by the Bridge
is a popular spot for Drinks, Coffee, and
Episcopal Church is also on the west side,
on Old Tollhouse Road, completed in 1909 in
Gothic Style, looks much older.
Aboyne Golf Club is 1 mile east of the
Village, founded in 1883. Club
Aboyne Loch Caravan
Park is under 1 mile east of the Village,
with Pitches for Tourers and Tents, also
Fishing on the Loch.
1245 - Walter Bisset of Aboyne Castle, under
1 mile north of Aboyne, was accused of
murdering the Earl of Atholl after the Earl
defeated him in a Tournament, leading to feuds
that ended with many Bisset's fleeing to
Ireland, then Aboyne Castle being taken over by
the Knights Templar.
1307 - the English took control of Aboyne
Castle during the First War of Scottish