See also a large Click On
Map for the area Top Attractions.
Touring Parks in the area.
The image top is of the Gordon Highlanders
Memorial on the west side of Banchory, next to
the Main Road, in memory of the 708 officers
and men of 7th Battalion Gordon Highlanders
killed during World War One 1914 - 1919.
Church is the most notable building on
Banchory High Street, completed in 1885 in
Gothic style as a Free Church.
The Burnett Arms
Hotel is next to the Church with outdoor
seating that gets the sun all day. This Hotel
was built from the mid 1800s as a Coaching
Banchory High Street is where most of the
Shops, Cafes and Restaurants are located, with
Scott Skinner Square next to the High
Square was completed in 2015 for small
shops and seating areas. James Scott Skinner
was born in this area in 1843, becoming a
famous musician of the time.
Bellfield Park sits below the High Street
where the largest Car Park for the Town can be
found. This large Park is used for Recreation,
also Walking with a Path to the River Dee.
Caravan Park is next to the Park and River Dee,
for Holiday Homes.
Cross the Bridge over the River Dee and it
is about half of a mile to the Falls of Feugh
where you can watch Fish jumping up the
The Falls of Feugh
Restaurant is next to the Falls.
This Road also leads to Cairn O Mount, a
mountain road with viewing areas at the top, 12
miles from Banchory to the top, one of the top
drives in Scotland.
The Cairn O Mount road leads to Fettercairn
Village, 18 miles south of Banchory, popular
for its Whisky Distillery visits.
On the east side of Banchory High Street is
the old Ternan Kirkyard with its round Watch Tower,
used to stop Body Snatchers up to 1832, a time
newly buried Bodies were being stolen for sale
Aberdeen University was only supposed to get
two bodies of executed criminals per year from
the 1600s, this leading to Grave Robbing as
Universities would pay for more bodies. The
more bodies they could get, the more Anatomy
Students would want to use that University. New
laws in 1832 put an end to Body Snatching, as
after this time, it was illegal to take a Body,
as a Corpse then had legal standing.
Park is on the east side of Banchory,
holding up to 62 Tourers, no Tents.
Railway is 2 miles east of Banchory, next
to the main road to Aberdeen. This Victorian
Station has a Railway Carriage Tearoom, Shop,
and short section of track for Vintage Trains.
Next to the Railway is The Milton of Crathes
complex with Craft Shops, Restaurant, and
Crathes Castle is across the road
from the Railway, open for visits throughout
the summer, weekends in winter, also with a
Adventure Park. This Castle was built for the
Burnett family from the 1500s.
400s - a small settlement was established
here by Saint Ternan,
known as Banchory-Ternan.
There was a Trail over the 1493 feet / 454 m
Cairn O' Mount at this time, connecting Deeside
to Angus. This Trail was also used by many
Armies during conflicts such as the First War
of Scottish Independence in the early 1300s,
and Jacobite Risings in the 1700s.
1500s - Crathes Castle was built 2 miles
east of Banchory for Burnett's, with them in
control of the land around the Town. These
Estates would create work for people in the
area, such as Farming, Mining and Weaving.
1745 - Jacobite's were defeated by
Government forces at the Battle of
Culloden, leading to the Government having
Military Roads and Forts built throughout
northern Scotland to prevent any more Risings,
with the Cairn O Mount Trail becoming one of
these Roads. The Hill Road over the Mountain is
18 miles, with the Main Road up to Aberdeen
then west along the Deeside Valley being about
1798 - the first Horse Drawn Mail Coaches
began running between Edinburgh and Aberdeen,
also carrying Passengers. Mail was then
transported from Aberdeen to Towns in the north
by Horse and Rider.
1800s early - Horse drawn Mail Carriages
began operating from Aberdeen to Towns in the
area, also transporting Passengers.
1853 - Banchory Railway Station opened.
1895 - first Cars were imported into
Scotland, with the Military Roads and Carriage
Roads soon upgraded and covered with Tar for
Cars, Buses and Trucks, soon taking trade from
1905 - Banchory Golf Club was founded with
the course on the south side of the Town,
alongside the River Dee.
1951 - the Burnett family gifted Crathes
Castle to the National Trust for Scotland to be
used as a Tourist Attraction, now open to the
1966 - Banchory Railway Station Closed.
1970s - the name of the Town was changed
from Banchory-Ternan to Banchory.
1980s - the 66 mile stretch of A90 road
between Dundee and Aberdeen was upgraded to
Duel Carriageway, bypassing a number of Towns,
cutting travel time to around 1 hour.
1996 - the Royal Deeside Railway was opened
2 miles east of Banchory, at the entrance to
Crathes Castle, with a Cafe and Vintage Trains
that run on a short section of Track.