Banff is a Town on the Moray &
Aberdeenshire Coast area of Scotland, 72
miles east of Inverness, 46 miles northwest
Banff is popular for its Beaches,
House Mansion in a Country Estate a
short walk from the Town Centre, and a
number of Walks in
See also a large Click On
Map for the area Top Attractions.
Touring Parks in the area.
The image top is of Banff Bridge on the east
side of the Town, looking over the River
Deveron towards the neighbouring Town of
only 1 mile east. This Bridge was completed in
1780, widened in 1881.
The second image is from the Bridge looking
over Banff, East Beach, and Harbour. This is a
long Sandy Beach seldom used, as most people
seem to prefer the Beach on the west side of
The third image is of Banff Harbour, now
mainly used as a Marina.
In the centre of Banff, on Church Street,
are the remains of Old St Mary's
Church, built in 1471 on the site of an
earlier Church. Old St Mary's was demolished in
1797, leaving a Mausoleum of the Ogilvie family
and the Grave Yard.
was built from the 1100s on Castle Street, high
above St Mary's Old Church. That Castle was
demolished in the 1700s with a Mansion being
built in its place. The Mansion now serves as
the Banff Castle Community and Arts Facilities.
A short walk uphill from Old St Mary's is
Low Street with the Town House, Market Cross,
and Biggar Fountain. The Market Cross was built
in 1628, Town House Steeple 1767, Town House
1797, and Fountain 1878.
At the south side of Low Street is a large
Car Park and Banff Parish
Church, completed in 1790. The completion
of this Church led to Old St Mary's being
Next to Banff Parish Church, on the High
Street, is the Museum of
Banff. The Museum was founded in 1828,
moving to this building after its completion in
1902. The Museum covers Artifacts from the
Celtic Period up to Modern Day.
Next to the large Car Park is the entrance
to Duff House and Country Estate, one third of
a mile walk. There is also a Car Park in the
Estate, close to Duff House and the Kids Play
Duff House was
completed in 1740 for William Duff of Braco,
designed by William Adam. The House was gifted
to Banff Burgh in 1906, with it being uses as a
Hotel, Sanatorium, Prisoner of War Camp,
Barracks, and since 1995, part of the National
Galleries of Scotland, open most of the year
Duff House Royal
Golf Club was built in the Duff House
Estate in 1909, one of the top Parks Courses in
Banff Links Caravan
Park is on the west side of Banff, next to
the West Beach / Boyndie Beach. This Holiday
Park has pitches for Tourers and Tents.
Banff West Beach, also known as Boyndie
Beach, or Inverboyndie Beach, is the busiest
Beach in the Banff area with a large Car Park
and Kids Play. It is a 1 mile coastal walk from
Banff Harbour to this Beach.
1100s - Banff Castle was used by King
Malcolm IV to help combat Viking raids in the
area. The Town grew around that Castle.
There was a ferry at this time for crossing
the River Deveron.
1372 - Banff was awarded Royal Burgh status
by King Robert II.
1400s - Banff was known for exporting Salmon
1471 - Old St Mary's Church was built on the
site of an earlier Church, in the centre of
1500s? - a Tolbooth was built in the Town
centre to be used as a Court and Prison. There
were a number of Prisoners documented as having
escaped from this Tolbooth.
1625 - the first sections of Banff Harbour
1628 - the present Market Cross was
completed in the Town centre, probably on the
site of an earlier Market Cross. The top of the
Cross is claimed to be older than the rest.
1700s - Banff Castle
was demolished to be replaced by a Mansion
1740 - Duff House was
built for William Duff, in an Estate on the
south side of Banff.
1765 - the first Bridge was built across the
River Deveron to connect Banff and Macduff.
1768 - the first Bridge was destroyed in a
Flood, leading to the return of the Ferry.
1768 - the Market Cross was rebuilt on a
Dovecot in a field off Sandyhill Road.
1773 - the Ferry was destroyed during a
1780 - the new Banff Bridge was completed by
John Smeaton. Smeaton also carried out work
extending Banff Harbour.
1790 - Banff Parish Church was completed to
replace Old St Mary's.
1797 - Old St Mary's Church was demolished,
with the Grave Yard and a Mausoleum all that
1797 - the Town House was completed in the
Town Centre with Cells. The Tolbooth was
demolished around this time.
1818 - the final sections of Banff Harbour
were added by Thomas Telford.
1859 - the Railway
connected Banff to the rest of the UK.
1850s - Herring Fishing was at its peak at
Banff and other Fishing Ports on this Coast.
Herring was packed into Barrels with Brine for
preservation, then transported around the UK
and Europe. The Harbour's at that time were
crammed full of Sail Fishing Boats. Herring Photos
1878 - the Biggar Fountain was built in the
Town Centre where the Market Cross once
1881 - Banff Bridge was widened.
1900 - the Market Cross was returned to the
centre of Banff, in front of the Town House,
across the road from its original spot.
1900s early - the Herring Industry was in
decline due to Over Fishing. Larger Powered
Fishing Boats had began entering service,
allowing fishing to take place further out into
the North Sea.
Banff Harbour began to silt up around this
time, leading to Fishing and Cargo Vessels
moving to Macduff Harbour 1 mile east.
1968 - Banff Railway Station closed.
2007 - work to transform Banff Harbour into
a Marina for Leisure
Vessels was completed.