Macduff is a Town on the Moray &
Aberdeenshire Coast area of Scotland, 73
miles east of Inverness, 45 miles northwest
of Aberdeen, 1 mile east of
Macduff is popular for its Marine
Trips, Sea Fishing, Views from the
War Memorial and Church high above, and a
number of Walks in
See also a large Click On
Map for the area Top Attractions.
Touring Parks in the area.
The image top is of looking east along Shore
Street at Macduff Harbour.
The second image is of one of the Boats used for Boat
Trips or Sea Fishing. The Boat Trips search for
Dolphin, Minke Whale, Puffins, Gannets,
Cormorants, Fulmar, and Kittiwakes.
Sea Fishing trips are for Cod, Ling, Coley,
Dab, Spiny Scorpion Fish, Cuckoo, and
The third image is from the Harbour looking
south with the War Memorial and Macduff Parish
Church sitting high above.
Macduff War Memorial is in a Park with a
Play Area and Kids Play, also Great Views over
Church also has Great Views over the Town,
and over Banff 1 mile west. This Church was
built in 1805, enlarged in 1865. The Tower of
the Church was used as a guide for Boats.
At the Church is the Town Cross from 1783,
and a large 1700s Anchor placed here in
The Path up and down from the War Memorial
passes the New Knowes
Hotel, popular for Drinks and Meals.
Acquarium is at the east side of the
Harbour, showing Marine Life from the Moray
Firth, Scotland’s largest bay, and the large
Central Exhibit is where you can view Divers
hand Feeding Fish, the only one of its kind in
Royal Tarlair Golf
Club is on the east side of Macduff, with
amazing views east along the Rugged Coast. This
Course was constructed from 1923.
Next to the Golf Course is the Tarlair Open Air
Pool, that may be re-opened soon.
The Town of Doune evolved around Fishing and
Farming, later being renamed Macduff.
1100s - Banff Castle, one mile west of
Macduff, was used by King Malcolm IV to help
combat Viking raids in the area.
There was a ferry at this time for crossing
the River Deveron between Macduff and
1760 - James Duff,
Second Earl of Fife, had the harbour built at
1783 - James Duff had the Town name changed
from Doune to Macduff, after himself.
1765 - the first Bridge was built over the
River Deveron, connecting Macduff and
1768 - a Flood swept away the first
1799 - a new Banff Bridge was completed by
1872 - Macduff Railway
Station was opened, connecting the Town to
the rest of the UK. The Railway Station was
high up close to the Parish Church.
1850s - Herring Fishing was at its peak at
Macduff and other Fishing Ports on this Coast,
with Herring packed into Barrels with Brine for
preservation, before being transported around
the UK and Europe. Herring Photos
1881 - Banff Bridge was widened.
1900s early - the Herring Industry began to
decline due to Over Fishing. The larger Powered
Fishing Boats entering service allowed fishing
to take place further out into the North Sea,
with larger nets, scooping up vast quantities
Banff Harbour began to silt up around this
time, leading to Fishing and Cargo Vessels
relocating to Macduff Harbour.
1931 - Tarlair Swimming
Pool opened on the east side of Macduff by
Royal Tarlair Golf Club.
1961 - Macduff Railway Station closed.
1995 - Tarlair Open Air Swimming Pool
closed, soon falling into disrepair. This Open
Air Pool is one of only three surviving in
Scotland. Money has now been raised for its