Click On Map for the area Top
Camping & Touring Parks in
The images top are of Carnoustie High Street
and War Memorial. There are signs from the High
Street showing roads to the Beach and Golf
The Beach at Carnoustie runs for miles north
and south, with a Kids Play, Grasslands, and
Leisure Centre with a Cafe.
The Fountain at Carnoustie Beach was erected
for Provost Winter in 1906, in memory of his
father John Winter who died in 1902.
The Beach Pavilion is next to the Fountain,
built in 1906 as a Cafe. The Pavilion was used
by the Rugby Club for a while before being sold
in 2017 to serve as a Restaurant, Bar, Cafe, and Art
At the Beach is Carnoustie Golf
Links, with the Championship Course,
Burnside, Buddon Links, and a short five-hole
course named The Nestie.
The first Course opened in 1842, with the
Championship Course first hosting the Open in
1931. Wiki Page.
The 75 bedroom Carnoustie Golf
Hotel was built in 1999, overlooking the
18th green. This Hotel was built for the
1999 Open, won
at Carnoustie by the Scotsman Paul Lawrie,
beating the Frenchman Jean van de
Velde that ran up 7 on the 18th Hole, with
his ball visiting the Grandstand, Thick Rough,
and Barry Burn.
Links House was completed next to the 18th
Green in 2018, with a new Pro Shop, Bar, 7 Golf
Simulators, and a Heritage Area giving
information on the Course and Golfers that have
won the Open here. The Rookery Restaurant has
amazing views over the Course and 18th
East Haven is a
small Fishing Village 2 miles north of
Carnoustie with a long Beach that was used by
the Royal Family in the 1930s. By the Beach is
a Memorial to Airedale
Terriers, trained at East Haven for World
The Royal Castle of Glamis is
17 miles northwest of East Haven.
1200s - the Maule Clan gained control of
this area, building Panmure Castle
about 3 miles northwest of where Carnoustie is
1646 - King Charles I created the Earldom of
Panmure for Patrick Maule. The Maule Family
invested in Business in the area, leading to
the Village of East Haven and Town of
1660s - Panmure House was built close to the
old Panmure Castle.
1700s early - Carnoustie is seen on records
as a Village involved in the Linen and
1760s - Carnoustie grew rapidly at a time
time there was a great demand for Linen. The
Flax Plant used
for producing Linen, was grown in the area,
with more imported from Europe. Linen was
produced on Weaving Machines in Homes and
Fishing in the area was for Salmon, Cod,
Haddock, Lobster, and Crab, with much of the
Salmon, Cod and Lobster sold in England.
1842 - the first of the Golf Courses was
opened at Carnoustie.
1850s - Panmure House
was rebuilt in Scottish Baronial style, claimed
to be the top Mansion in Scotland.
1883 - the Railway reached Carnoustie,
leading to more growth of the Town, with a
number of businesses operating such as
Textiles, Shoe Making, Malting Barley for Beer
& Whisky, Foundry for Heavy Machinery, and
from 1906 to 1910.
The Railway also brought in the first
Tourists for Bathing in the Sea and Golf.
1891 - Arthur George Maule
Ramsey, 14th Earl of Dalhousie, sold the
Links Land to the People of Carnoustie on the
condition they would only use the Land for Golf
and Leisure. There are now 4 Golf Courses on
the Land, one of the top Golf Complexes in
1955 - Panmure House was demolished.
1970s - low cost Package Holidays to warmer
Mediterranean Countries led to a decline in
Summer Tourists at Carnoustie.
Today - Carnoustie attracts large numbers of
Tourists for the Golf, and through a new form
of Tourism, traveling around Scotland in
Camper Vans. There are about 1,200
miles of Coastal Roads around Scotland, even
more if you venture out to some more remote
areas, with many Touring and Camping sites all
around the Coast.