1400 - the 2nd Sir John Lyon of Glamis had
the Castle re-built as an L-Plan Tower
1445 - the title Lord Glamis was created for
Sir Patrick Lyon.
1520s - John Lyon, 6th Lord Glamis, married
at a time King James V was feuding with the
1528 - John Lyon died and his wife Janet was
accused of treason for being involved in a plot
to overthrow the King.
1537 - Janet was found guilty of Witchcraft
and burned at the stake in Edinburgh.
Historians claim King James V ordered Janet be
set up for execution. A ghost at Glamis is said
to be that of Janet.
1537 - Glamis is taken over by King James V
who lived there until his death in 1542.
1542 - Glamis is returned to John Lyon, 7th
1562 - Mary Queen of Scots visits Glamis as
she tours many Scotland Castles. Mary knew she
had to remain friends with these powerful Clans
so they would support her in times of war.
1606 - Patrick Lyon, 9th Lord Glamis, is
created Earl of Kinghorne by King James VI.
1650s - Cromwell’s Troops occupied Glamis
Castles after Charles I was executed and
Britain was ruled by the Government.
1660 - King Charles II is restored to the
throne, ending Government rule.
1660s - Patrick Lyon,
3rd Earl, returned to Glamis Castle, finding it
in a run-down state. He set about restoring the
original Castle and began adding
1677 - Patrick Lyon is created Earl of
Strathmore and Kinghorne by King Charles
1688 - North East Corner Wing was completed
with a Chapel.
1689 - West Wing was completed and Gardens
1695 - the 3rd Earl died.
1715 - the 5th Earl of Kinghorne supported
the first Jacobite uprising and was killed at
the Battle of
Sheriffmuir. A month later, James Stuart
stayed at Glamis Castle with his Jacobite
1753 - John Lyon, 9th Earl of Strathmore and
Kinghorne, took control of Glamis.
1767 - John Lyon married Mary Eleanor
Bowes of Gibside in Northeast England,
heiress to a coal-mining fortune. An
arrangement of this marriage was that he took
on his wife's name Bowes.
1801 - West Wing was rebuilt.
1891 - the East Wing is completed for the
13th Earl, leading to the Castle that can be
seen today. You have to look close to see the
original Tower within the Castle.
1900 - Lady Elizabeth Bowes-Lyon was born,
youngest daughter of Claude Bowes-Lyon, 14th
Earl of Strathyre and King horne and his
1910 - the Italian Gardens were laid out
with a number of marble statues.
1914 - 1918 - Glamis Castle was used as a
Military Hospital during the First World
1920s - a huge fireplace from Gibside Mansion was
installed in the Billiard Room of Glamis.
Gibside was allowed to fall into ruin from that
1923 - Lady Elizabeth married Prince Albert,
Duke of York, at Westminster Abbey. Albert was
the second son of King George V.
1925 - Their first daughter Princess
Elizabeth was born at the London Home of Lady
1930 - Their second daughter, Princess
Margaret, was born at Glamis Castle.
1937 - Prince Albert becomes King George VI
after the abdication of his brother Edward
1950 - Glamis Castle is opened to the public
as a tourist attraction throughout the
1952 - Elizabeth becomes Queen after the
death of her father George VI.
2002 February - Princess
Margaret died in a London hospital. A
memorial to the Princess was erected next to
the Italian Garden at Glamis Castle.
2002 March - Elizabeth
Bowes-Lyon, The Queen Mother, died at the
Royal Lodge on Windsor Estate by London. The
Queen Mother was buried at St Georges Chapel in
Windsor Castle next to her husband George VI.
The ashes of Princess Margaret were also buried
next to them in St Georges
2017 - Wood Carvings of Macbeth Characters
are sculptured from fallen trees on the estate
to make an interesting Woodland Trail.
Today - Glamis is the home of Simon
Bowes-Lyon, 19th Earl of Strathmore and
Kinghorne. The Castle and Grounds can be
visited throughout the summer with an entrance