1100s - Crail had become a busy Village.
1100s - the earliest parts of Crail Parish
Church were built.
1178 - Crail became a Royal Burgh during the
reign of King William the Lion
1300s - Crail was given the right to hold a
Market on a Sunday by King Robert the
1500s - the Tolbooth was built at
Marketgate, where the Markets were held,
claimed to be the largest Market in Europe at
that time. There are houses on Marketgate said
to have been built in the 1600s.
1538 - Mary of Guise
arrived at Crail, then traveled to St Andrews
to meet King James V. Mary and James had an
arranged marriage. James had noticed Mary when
on a trip to France some time earlier, when he
was married to his first wife Madeleine, a
French Princess. Madeleine died in 1537 of
1542 - James V and Mary of Guise had a
daughter, who became Mary Queen of Scots.
1700s - the Royal Castle remains were
dismantled, nothing was left above ground.
1700s - Crail Parish Church had additions
leading to roughly what is seen today.
1700s - the Golf Hotel was built where
Marketgate meets the High Street, next to the
Tolbooth. Crail Golfing Society was founded in
the Hotel in 1786, the 7th oldest Golf Club in
1814 - the Town Hall was built next to the
1850s - Crail Golfing Society begin playing
at Balcomie 2 miles north of Crail.
1894 - the Balcomie Golf Course seen today,
was designed by Old Tom Morris.
1979 - the Crail Museum was opened next to
2009 - the Crail Golfing Society Clubhouse
was rebuilt with two bars, three separate
dining areas, and magnificent views over the
Golf Courses and Sea.